Oso direct 20 RD unvented water heater - not a happy wife

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I have a OSO unvented 20rd water heater which lists a capacity of 260l. Every time we run a bath we get around 110L of warm water then it runs cold. Same with the shower- lasts just a few minutes.

The wife is pregnant and misses her baths and I need some advice.

If the capacity is 260, why do I get just 110?

Anyone offer some advice??

Thanks.
Paul

Sponsored Links
do you have a boiler or is the cylinder heated by electric elements ?

It says direct in the thread title.

Presumably only the upper immersion is working?

Sponsored Links
I took the information you gave and did a google which came up with this PDF manual where it clearly shows two immersion heaters on page 2.

However reading further there seems to be no wiring diagram as to how the two immersion heaters are wired and it would seem likely where it also uses the hot coil from the central heating that the lower immersion heater is not used.

It would seem from the PDF wiring is left to the installer to decide on what features to use. So question is the lower immersion heater fitted and if so is it wired in? If so is there a selector switch to select which immersion heater is used.

However reading further there seems to be no wiring diagram as to how the two immersion heaters are wired and it would seem likely where it also uses the hot coil from the central heating that the lower immersion heater is not used.

The op has the direct model Eric (20 RD), there is no coil, both immersions will be used, and as already stated the bottom one is probably Faulty

Matt

Assuming you do have a direct cylinder you won't have the coil - just 2 immersions.

These are wired separately to double pole switches. If you have off-peak supply the bottom one is wired to that and the top one to the normal tariff.

If you don't have off peak wire each to separate switches.

I think wiring instructions are inside the wiring covers.

Thanks everyone for replying. I did some further investigation and found behind the 2 plastic covers that there are two immersion heaters. The top one has been wired up (top half of the tank is warm) and bottom one is not wired in. (Bottom half of tank is cold).

Is it as simple as to get the bottom one wired in?

Thanks everyone for replying. I did some further investigation and found behind the 2 plastic covers that there are two immersion heaters. The top one has been wired up (top half of the tank is warm) and bottom one is not wired in. (Bottom half of tank is cold).

Is it as simple as to get the bottom one wired in?

Plumber probably didn't wire second one in any fashion because the load would be too big for old cable. Probably needs new cable/ timer (thats a sparky job now)

Plumber probably didn't wire second one in any fashion because the load would be too big for old cable.
But could have mentioned it to the customer !
Or they could have wired the lower heater in which would give a full cylinder, but longer recovery times.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back