outside gas meter has no box

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
The house I'm looking at buying has a gas meter halfway along the back outside wall about 6 inches off the ground, but its not in a box.

I asked the owner about it and he said that it has always been like that and it is fine, but I asked a local heating company and they said it has to be in a box to protect it.

There is no sign of a box ever having been there, ie. no screwholes in the bricks, so I tend to believe the guy selling the house.

Does the meter have to go in a box, if so how could Transco or whoever they were when the meter was fitted, install it without it being in a box?
The pipe coming in is metal not plastic, so I think it has been like that for a long time. The house is about 70 years old so its not a new build and the meter hasn't been moved.

Sponsored Links
You can buy a box for it online, sometimes in places like Screwfix, B&Q or Selco or even try National Grid/Transco...

You're best keeping an eye out for the road workers, and people who reconnect to your house...

Big van, usually dirty looking lads, reading the Daily Star...

Slide them some £ and they'll probably sort you out.

Big van, usually dirty looking lads, reading the Daily Star...
and smoking like chimneys if they're anything like the ones who fixed a string of leaks in the 80-year old main that feeds our road last week :eek:

Old iron pipe and meter outside exposed to the elements sounds fishy. I wonder whether the meter was originally situated inside, just the other side of the wall to where it is now, and if somebody naughty moved it outside to make a bit more room, quite possibly before the current owners took posession.

Can the meter housings/boxes available online be retrofitted to existing installations without removing the meter or disturbing the pipework though?

Can the meter housings/boxes available online be retrofitted to existing installations without removing the meter or disturbing the pipework though?

yes the box can, but the bracket attached to it can't as the pipework passes through it. the meter would have to be removed to get it in place.

Sponsored Links
Thanks, Kevin, that's certainly what my one here's like.

Would Transco (or whoever's responsible for the meters) fit one FOC?

yes the box can, but the bracket attached to it can't as the pipework passes through it. the meter would have to be removed to get it in place.

what you have said is 100% correct in that the meter should be removed to fit the bracket, but i know a guy ;) who actually fitted a new box without removing the meter, as the back plate slid down the back of the meter and the 2 pipes went into the slots in the bracket,with a bit of gentle persuasion, (thats where the risk is of causinng a leak) "he" couldnt have done it with a semi concealed box as the inlet supply needs to be disconnected from the ecv for the pipe to slide into the box
to the OP an external meter MUST be protected from the elements so contact the supplier if you buy the house and get them to fit one, if they dont do it for free, get a GSR contractor to do it for you,

Old iron pipe and meter outside exposed to the elements sounds fishy. I wonder whether the meter was originally situated inside, just the other side of the wall to where it is now, and if somebody naughty moved it outside to make a bit more room, quite possibly before the current owners took posession.

Or possible had a outbuilding in the past and been taken down....?

Dan

Seems fishey to me!

Can you post a picture of the meter here so we can see if its been correctly installed.

I would be very surprised if the meter was fitted by Nat Grid without a box!

Tony

Seems fishey to me!

Can you post a picture of the meter here so we can see if its been correctly installed.

I would be very surprised if the meter was fitted by Nat Grid without a box!

Tony

why? its quite common round here!

Thanks to all for their comments. I'll post a picture at the weekend for further opinions / suggestions.

I guess the question is can a standard box be easily and safely fitted over it or should I contact my gas supplier.

Lets answer those questions once we have the photos :)

Nor have I in London or Midlands.

Plenty with the box broken or missing but never installed out in the open!

They are not designed for outside installation and I would say they are At Risk if fitted like that!

Tony

That came from me!

But provided from someone who was with me for training and now posts here from time to time!

Tony

Ah! :oops:

It amused me so much I saved it to my PC years ago, nice to know how I came by it. Thanks!

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back