overflow from expansion tank

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi, hope someone can help

When heating/water first come on water drips from overflow in loft
Have replaced ball valve and turned down pump to number 1 setting.

Took water out of tank down to 4 inches but next day overflow again!

Sponsored Links
Sounds like the coil in the hot water cylinder has a hole.

Water being heated in the cylinder has greater pressure than primary flow in the coil, the result the F&E tank fills.

Thanks very much.
Have got heating cover, hopefully that will cover this?

Don't want to be negative but possibly not, not all heating contracts will stretch to replacing the HW Cylinder, most cover the boiler, ancillaries & valves etc though read your policy, it should state what's covered for replacement.

Sponsored Links
You need a good plumber - if you're in E.Sx ;) ;) . I'm assuming you looked @ the water level in the small tank - and it had risen to the overflow and continued rising/overflowing. I ask because my neighbour had a similar scenario after a new boiler fitted - Overflow poured on occasions , I bled all the rads and it's OK now - I'm going to have a look for them in the summer . Could be a blockage somewhere :confused:

Doesn't pour out, just drips for about the first hour boiler comes on.
As said before reduced water to 4 inches depth but within a day was dripping again.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back