Pipe spacing for water meters?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
The background -

One building, 3 flats, previously just one common water supply (riser) feeding all flats.

Have now separated all flats' supplies, to ground floor near-ceiling level.

Hope to have meters installed inside building, extending separation of supplies to ground-floor floor level, so that meters can be installed there.

Q - what distance apart should the pipework (3 adjacent vertical pipes) be so that there will be no problems with clearance when the 3 meters are fitted? They don't actually have to be fitted at the same level so staggering is fine, but if not too much in it perfect alignment would also be nice :cool:

I have an idea of course but don't know whether there are any new-fangled meters being installed nowadays that may require a lot of space.

Actually wrote to Thames Water almost a month ago, but nothing other than an acknowledgement as yet. So much for their claimed desire to have everyone on a meter.

Oh and pipework is in 22mm.

Many thanks for any input!

Sponsored Links
That all sounds good!

They prefer meters installed externally whey they can read meters easily. Although they so have some wireless ones now.

As far as I know they will allow internal meters.

Most meters I see are less than 100 mm wide so I expect thatvpipe spacing would suit.

You also need isolating valves and a drain cock!

Tony

Thanks Tony, yes do have isolating valves and drain cocks already, but best ask as I will be relocating the former - are there any specs as to whether the isolators need to be "before" the meters i.e. on the unmetered side, or after?

I would prefer them to be before in case anything happens to the meter and I suppose it would also make future meter replacement much easier.

Thanks again

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back