Plastic or copper

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I'm replacing old galvanised hot water pipe because it takes a long time to get hot water at the taps. Also for central heating.

I'm thinking about fitting plastic and wonder if plastic or copper is best for moving hot water?

In case of the Kitchen, which is downstairs and the hot tank is upstairs on the landing, is 15mm ok.

Sponsored Links
Ive just done all the new plumbing on my house.

Ive used plastic pipe and push fit fittings for all of the water going to taps, although, copper pipe coming from the boiler to fit to the plastic pipes.

You have to use copper pipe for the central heating system - radiators.

15mm is used for everything, my dad told me to use 22mm for the hot water to the bath (quicker to fill) but i havent done so god knows if thats right or wrong.

Thanks for your reply Zulley,

I asked lots of people, who gave me arguments for both. I bought all copper pipe yesterday, and fitted a radiator today.

I think 22mm is used for the bath, because when they are both on the same floor, and there's a lot of water needed to fill it, so a better flow is advisable.

I was going to put a parallel 15mm for hot water to bathroom Basin and Kitchen sink, so they heat up quicker, but was advised to tap off from the 22mm, and insulate them even though they are mostly under the landing floor.

Cheers. Camerart.

Central heating CAN be used in plastic if you wish to do it that way.

To be honest it doesn't matter if you use copper or plastic it's not going to make a difference to the flow.

22mm pipework is always advisable to hot water outlets on an vented system.

With regard to central heating the flow and returns should always be ran in 22mm pipework then teeing of in 15mm to feed each radiator.

Sponsored Links
Thanks Yerino,

I finished the central heating part, just moved one radiator, in 15mm copper.

As for the hot water, you have help to make my mind up. The problem I have is the hot water to the kitchen is quite a long way, and takes a long time to get hot. So I'm going to 'T' off the existing 22mm in the 1st floor bathroom. 22mm to the bath, 15 to the basin, then carry on down to floor level kitchen sink in 15mm, which because of the height, I think this should flow ok

But remember, with 22mm pipe, there's twice as much cold water in the pipe to shift before the hot gets to the outlet.

But remember, with 22mm pipe, there's twice as much cold water in the pipe to shift before the hot gets to the outlet.

I was going to put in a separate 15mm just for Basin and sink, for your reason, but was advised against it. And there's a tempting old electrical conduit, which if I removed it, would take a 15mm pipe without too much effort.

Thanks.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back