Plumbing for shower. right or wrong?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
my shower water runs out to the sewer via the toilet pipe. The sewer smells comes up the shower pipe and stinks the bathroom. Is this right? I'm not sure if the builders know what they are doing. Or are they taking illegal short cuts?

There is no U bend

Sponsored Links
If you mean that the shower waste connects to the vertical soil stack, then that's fine. There would not be a U bend in place because the shower trap should stop any smells. My guess is that the water in the shower trap is being drawn out. Is there actually any water in the trap (maybe the builders have not yet filled it)?

Or you have some sort of blockage in the soil stack

Sponsored Links
All waste discharges MUST have some form of water trap that will not be syphoned clear when water is discharged through them.

This includes, wash basins, sinks, showers, baths and toilets. It also includes things like dishwashers and washing machines. If they have not fitted any kind of trap, i.e. just sent the waste pipe straight into the soil stack, then they are breaking the law and need to be reported.

All waste discharges MUST have some form of water trap that will not be syphoned clear when water is discharged through them.

This includes, wash basins, sinks, showers, baths and toilets. It also includes things like dishwashers and washing machines. If they have not fitted any kind of trap, i.e. just sent the waste pipe straight into the soil stack, then they are breaking the law and need to be reported.

Thanks. I will point this out to the inspector!

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back