Possible dodgy eletric heating system

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi

I am concerned that a little old lady who lives near me may be getting ripped off. I do not know much about plumbing or central heating systems, hence would appreciate any advice anyone could give me.

She recently had an electric central heating system installed by a “Handyman” type guy who seems to have taken to trying to befriend her, having cups of tea with her whilst trying to find new jobs to do in her home.

He installed this system. The pipes are not hidden instead are in the corner of he kitchen which looks terrible. There appears to burn marks on the wall behind the pipes. It all looks quite messy.

I have taken some pictures of the pipe work and heating bit. I do not believe the bloke is a qualified electrician / plumber. She has paid for the work, but appears embarrassed when I talk about it with her. Unfortunately she lives alone so is quite vulnerable to people trying to take advantage or her.

I am slightly worried that 1) she has been ripped off and 2) it may be dangerous 3) should I speak to trading standards 4) what qualifications do you need and what happens if he hasn’t got them?

The pressure was reading at 1500 but is now at 500. Is this bad?

He has also “laid” some new carpet for her. This has just been placed on top the old carpet, isn’t stuck down and doesn’t fit. I have included the pictures as the quality of this work also leads me to believe he is not a good tradesperson. Even with my limited knowledge of diy this is not good.

Any ideas or advice would be appreciated.

Thanks

Rach

Sponsored Links
Pipes - very untidy, also looks like some were put in and then changed/moved for some reason.

If the pressure is dropping, there is a leak somewhere.
Is there a pressure relief valve anywhere? If not, system is dangerous and must not be used.

Presumably there is no HW cylinder, as the square white box with the black oval on the front is a water heater designed for undersink use - one or two outlets maximum. Is there a bath in the property? What about a shower?

Installing heating systems is notifiable work, so would be the new electrical circuits required for the heating equipment - seems unlikely any of that was notified. Do you have a picture of the consumer unit?

Electric CH - a very unusual and expensive to run option, unless there really was no way to get gas to the property. What heating was there before?

Carpet over the top of old carpet - wrong, and likely will result in someone tripping over it, and doors won't open/close properly either. Can't see any reason to do it either - removing old carpet wouldn't have taken long.

Thank you for the reply.

The pipes were all put in by him. I do not know if anything was changed etc.

What would a pressure relief valve look like? Literally everything that is there is in the picture. I do not know what I am looking for to say if its there or not.

There is a bath and shower in the property.

Where would I find the consumer unit? I can add a picture of this if you tell me and if that helps?

When you say notifiable work, what exactly do you mean? Who should you notify and what happens (as I am sure if the case) they were not notified? Would this affect her insurance?

I have no idea what heating was there before to be honest. Being an old lady and a creature of habit she likes to use her electric fire in her lounge the most.

Yeah the carpet looks terrible and I thought it was just laziness to have to get rid of it.

I feel sorry for her and just want to help.

Thanks again for your help.

Sponsored Links
I have googled pressure releif valave and there is nothing on the system that looks like it on the system in her house so I believe there is not one. How dangerous is this? How could it go wrong? What can I do?

This bloke wasn't an Asian chappy with a Coventry accent by any chance?

Sadly he is an unscrupulous b@stard who need repeatedly kicking in the nether regions.

Blimey what a mess... Whoever did that should have paid the customer, not the other way round !!! I wonder why there appears to be two expansion vessels. The guy obviously has not heard of a pipe bender either.

One expansion vessel (white) for the under-sink heater and the red one for the radiator(s) circuit (would quite like to see how he's installed these)

Hi

Thanks everyone for your help. I will pop round later and take some pictures of those pressure vessel things.

Pictures of one of the installed radiator and another of the pipework. I am still a bit unsure of what to do. Should I speak to trading standards. Also I am worried if ther was an issue would this affect her home insurance. I do not want to intrude but want to help her. What can she do about this?

Many thanks everyone for taking the time to help and reply. I do appreciate it.

Jesus - that looks awful...

Are there any more detailed pictures of the electric boiler and the expansion vessels... I have a few concerns about them...

This is absolutely disgraceful. Sadly, there may be little you can do, apart from inform TS. Maybe talk to LA, as the heting should be notified. You must be carfeul to avoid a physical confrontation, unless you can handle it.

I fear that most ripped off cliwnts would rather not go public for fear of emarasssment or retribution. She may also think you are being difficult or moody.

Why not show her this thread, so at least you will have some vindication for your beliefs.

This guy is the complete epitome of a con man, and he will eventually bleed her dry.

There is a recent case where a con man of this ilk was jailed, but I have no idea as to evicence required for the [lod to get involved.

I think I speak for all of us when I wish you the very best of luck

Thank you everyone for all your assistance. It is much appreciated. I have spoken to her at length and it really helped that I could give her opinions of people who know what they are talking about and also have very kindly given up their time to help. She is embarrassed about it.

I have found some paper work from the bloke who installed it.

Also I have taken a picuture of the fuse box. I assume this is the consumer unit.

The wires to the heating are the 2 grey ones that go to the bottom left of the cupboard.

I also took a picture of the pressure gauge as this appears to have dropped again since yesterday when I took the last pictures.

Thanks again for everyones help. Much appreciated.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back