Potterton CH timer problem

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I wonder if anyone could advise about a central heating / timer problem I've had over the past few days.

At the weekend, I had to switch off the electricity to do some DIY. Since it's been back on, I've noticed that the heating has been behaving oddly, in that it seems to go on and off based on the hot water timer, with the actual CH timer having no effect. This means the CH is on all the time, and at full heat since the thermostat has no effect either.

Has anyone experienced this before? I tried powering the boiler off and on in the hope of resetting the electrics, but no joy. Could it just be a case of replacing the Potterton timer controller, or is there more to it than that?

Thanks.

Sponsored Links
Type of timer would help, as would a better description of all you system controls. If it's a digital timer, try a full reset and reprogramme to start with.

A follow-on question, if anyone can help: If I do need to replace the programmer, I'm tempted to go for a Potterton EP6002, which would give me separate control of HW and CH. However, I understand that this requires a "fully pumped" system, and won't work with a "gravity" system. How can I tell what type of system I have?

Sponsored Links
Well, I replaced the programmer with an EP6002 and guess what? The problem is still there! Oh well, back to the drawing board...

replace the silver box on the valve in the first photo, you dont need to drain down as the actuator separates from the valve, just make sure you have completely isolated the electrics before you start.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back