Potterton Performa 18e-No Pressure,noisy and no HW or CH

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
We have the Potterton Performa 18e boiler which is in the kitchen. Over the past week it has been making a loud moaning noise and there is now no hot water and the radiators are only mildly warm.

I noticed when i opened the front fascia that the pressure gauge reads zero. After reading around on this forum i thought it might need re-pressurising with a filler loop. There was no filler loop on the boiler so i purchased one.

I thought this would need attaching between the two outer pipes beneath the boiler (see pic). However, when i turned the two black taps to the off position (see pic) and undid the cap on the left hand pipe, water started pouring out and did not stop.

I looked in the loft and there are two tanks up there. A large round tank and a smaller rectangular tank with a ball valve. Not sure if these feed the boiler or what. We also have a hot water tank in the airing cupboard.

Any ideas on what to do will be gratefully received.

Thanks,

Jamie

Sponsored Links
Deleted after reading post again.
Very confusing mentioning the small tank in the loft, suggesting an open vented system. Those boilers are for sealed systems only.
Look for a fill loop (poss in the airing cupboard) and refill the system. Turn those valves back on again and tighten those nuts. View media item 35799

Thanks for the reply Pete. I looked in the airing cupboard but could not see a filler loop. I only saw what was in the pic below.

It is possible that your boiler is fitted to a vented system, although it should definately not be. Have a good look around for the fill loop, it may be hidden in a cupboard near the boiler, maybe.

Sponsored Links
I checked in all kitchen cupboards and could not see a fill loop :(

Yes its full of water and I've depressed the ball valve and it does fill.

but is it connected to the system pipework. If the answer is yes, then I'm afraid it's wrong. As I said before, these boilers are for sealed systems only, and you need to get someone in.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back