DIYnot
Local | Network
   DIYnot > Forums
Local | Network
DIYnot Network Local DIYnot Network Local  
  Forum IndexForum Index     RulesRules    HelpHelp     Join FREERegister Free     About CookiesCookies     SearchSearch     LoginLogin 

Potterton Promax HE Store -should I keep it on all the time?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    DIYnot.com Forum Index > Plumbing and Central Heating
Search this topic :: View previous topic :: View next topic  
superye

from United Kingdom

United Kingdom

PostPosted: Sat Sep 29, 2012 9:00 pm Reply with quote

Hi all,

My house has Potterton Promax HE Store - I normally let it heat up hot water only and then turn it off, unless I need central heating. The problem (may be not a problem) is every time when I need hot water I will have let the tap run a while and then hot water comes out, if I turn the tap off for just one or 2 seconds, I will have to wait a while before hot water comes out. I am wondering if that's normal. i think it's wasting of water because my house have a water meter. Can you please share your experience if you are having Potterton Promax HE Store as well? Thanks
 Alert Moderators

If you do not want to see this advert, click here to login or if you are new click here to join free.
Armo74

from United Kingdom

United Kingdom

PostPosted: Sat Sep 29, 2012 9:07 pm Reply with quote

The length of pipe runs, insulation, and other factors can dictate the time taken for hot water to reach your taps.
The following user says thank you to Armo74 for this useful post:
superye (30 Sep 2012)
 Alert Moderators
superye

from United Kingdom

United Kingdom

PostPosted: Sun Sep 30, 2012 3:44 pm Reply with quote

Armo74 wrote:
The length of pipe runs, insulation, and other factors can dictate the time taken for hot water to reach your taps.

Thanks for your reply Armo. I understand I need to wait for the hot water to reach the taps from the floor standing boiler (thru the pipe work), but my experience is no matter for how soon i switch off the tap, it seems I need to wait for freash hot water to reach to the taps again. My understanding is that hot water is already in the pipe work (provided I only switch off the taps for 2 seconds), I shouldn't be waiting for that long like the 1st time.

Thanks
 Alert Moderators
superye

from United Kingdom

United Kingdom

PostPosted: Sat Oct 06, 2012 10:56 am Reply with quote

superye wrote:
Hi all,

My house has Potterton Promax HE Store - I normally let it heat up hot water only and then turn it off, unless I need central heating. The problem (may be not a problem) is every time when I need hot water I will have let the tap run a while and then hot water comes out, if I turn the tap off for just one or 2 seconds, I will have to wait a while before hot water comes out. I am wondering if that's normal. i think it's wasting of water because my house have a water meter. Can you please share your experience if you are having Potterton Promax HE Store as well? Thanks

Anyone has the experience or knowledge please? Thanks
 Alert Moderators
Armo74

from United Kingdom

United Kingdom

PostPosted: Sat Oct 06, 2012 11:11 am Reply with quote

Does this happen on all of your taps? Has it always happened?
The following user says thank you to Armo74 for this useful post:
superye (25 Jan)
 Alert Moderators
superye

from United Kingdom

United Kingdom

PostPosted: Sat Jan 25, 2014 3:49 pm Reply with quote

Armo74 wrote:
Does this happen on all of your taps? Has it always happened?

Sorry for a long long dealy, yes, it's the case for all taps. thanks
 Alert Moderators
Joe4542

from United Kingdom

United Kingdom

PostPosted: Sat Jan 25, 2014 10:43 pm Reply with quote

As you say, once you've flushed the cold water out of the pipe, the hot water in there would stay warm for minutes, if it's cold straight away, then you have a problem.

It's not going to be anything with the boiler, possibly you've got a thermostatic mixer (shower or bath) that's letting by cold onto the hot side? Cold having easier path than hot and so back-feeding up pipes.

If you have service valves feeding said thermostat mixer, turning them off would confirm/disprove theory.
 Alert Moderators
Search this topic :: View previous topic :: View next topic  
Post new topic   Reply to topic    DIYnot.com Forum Index > Plumbing and Central Heating All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: