Power Cut last night now central heating doesn't work!

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,
Last night had a power cut ( while the central heating was on ). Today there are no lights on the pump ALPHA2 L ( only 8 months old ). I also thought i heard 4 loud bumps this morning but i was half awake so either it came from the pump or the neighbour!

Also the boiler ( greenstar RI ) won't light up, guessing this is because the pump won't start

Tried switching the mains off and back on again. Also opened up the box next to the pump and inside there is a fuse ( F2AL250V ) which looks fine but i cannot test it

Anyone got any idea's what i can do to fix myself before i call BG

Doing a quick search heard people talking about doing a reset?

Thanks!

Sponsored Links
Firstly, some questions to help find problem.

Is boiler blue light on, is the programmer asking for heat (lights on).

Also, are you on BG contract, if so, call them, you are paying for that
cover, let them help you

Yes the boiler blue light is on and the programmer lights are on

thanks for the reply

OK,
I see from previous posts you have a mid position valve, do you have the equipment or knowledge to test for voltages at the system junction box

Sponsored Links
OK,
I see from previous posts you have a mid position valve, do you have the equipment or knowledge to test for voltages at the system junction box

Nope

And yes i am on homecare 200 but it doesn't cover Home electrics just boiler / control and central heating. Also i guess i am best not mentioning the power cut?

shouldn't matter about power cut, your heating isn't working and they will fix it. It all depends on whether the mid pos vale is sending power onto the boiler or not, if it is, the fault then lies at the boiler. If it isn't, then the system controls are the fault. Either way, BG will sort it.

shouldn't matter about power cut, your heating isn't working and they will fix it. It all depends on whether the mid pos vale is sending power onto the boiler or not, if it is, the fault then lies at the boiler. If it isn't, then the system controls are the fault. Either way, BG will sort it.

ok many thanks for your time

Was this an area power cut?

It does sound as if there is a fault which would be unusual unless there was a surge and the boiler has been damaged.

Assuming you have turned the room stat up and pressed the button on the boiler to reset it and still no result then call out BG.

Tony

Was this an area power cut?

It does sound as if there is a fault which would be unusual unless there was a surge and the boiler has been damaged.

Assuming you have turned the room stat up and pressed the button on the boiler to reset it and still no result then call out BG.

Tony

Yes power cut in the whole area. I phoned a friend and he to had the same power cut and he lives nearly 2 miles away

Reset button the boiler? Can't see one on my boiler

I think you press the blue light for several seconds.

Can you get hot water to heat up on its own, i.e CH OFF at programmer?

i haven't tested to see if it heat up the water. Regarding the reset, i cannot see reset button, blue light

i haven't tested to see if it heat up the water. Regarding the reset, i cannot see reset button, blue light
A reset fault condition will exist if the electrical power to the boiler has been interrupted.

To reset the boiler:

Turn the Central heating temperature knob anticlockwise to the “RESET” position and hold for approximately five seconds and then turn the knob back to the original temperature setting.

A reset fault condition will exist if the electrical power to the boiler has been interrupted.

To reset the boiler:

Turn the Central heating temperature knob anticlockwise to the “RESET” position and hold for approximately five seconds and then turn the knob back to the original temperature setting.

MANY THANKS! that sorted it...working perfectly now

Thanks again for your time and great advice

Cheers

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back