Powerflush didn't solve the problem

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
My central heating system was working fine at the end of Spring. It was idle for approx 3 or 4 months. Having recently switched the central heating back on, I found that the upstairs radiators were heating up, but the downstairs rads remained cold.

As the system is quite old, I suspected there may be a blockage somewhere so I had the system powerflushed. Now I've found that even though the upstairs rads are seemingly hotter than previously, the downstairs rads remain stone-cold.

I've now replaced the pump with a new one and made sure the flow arrow is pointing in the same direction as the old one. It is set to the maximum flow setting, but there is still no flow through the downstairs radiators.

I've been round all radiators and bled them, but there is no sign of any trapped air.

I am now at a loss as to what might be the problem and what I might check.

Has anyone got any ideas, please?

Sponsored Links
Normally I would say that you should have called an engineer and let HIM diagnose the problem for you. That way he is responsible for getting it right.

In this case it seems that you chose to diagnose the problem yourself and called someone to do the power flush. He came and did exactly what you asked, hopefully got paid, and went!

Usually a good person doing the power flushing will take on board the problem and ensure its fixed. But you may have chosen someone by price alone and the cheapest may not have been the best. What did he say about it?

Now you are back at the beginning and still have the same problem.

All I can suggest is that you call someone to diagnose the real problem.

Until you have done that you could look at the FAQ and particularly balancing but if properly power flushed that will have upset the balancing and will have been rebalanced.

Tony

Well thanks a lot, Tony, for that slap on the wrist. I've obviously been a naughty boy (in your eyes) for trying to rectify a fault myself.

Well thanks a lot, Tony, for that slap on the wrist. I've obviously been a naughty boy (in your eyes) for trying to rectify a fault myself.

Too a certain degree Tony is correct, but your not fully to blame for still having the problem, I'd say the person that 'Power Flushed' your system didn't do a very good job, and as Tony has stated normally any Bona Fide company would listen to what you tell them regarding your system & take any action required. You have a circulation or air problem & that's the things a PF should help to elevate - most of the time!

Sponsored Links
Turn the upstairs rads off and see if the downstairs ones start to warm up, what kind of heating system is it ?

Go around and close all radiator valves upstairs.
If it doesn't heat up the downstairs radiators you have a blockage
of some sort.

This plumbing is so easy.

Why would customers use us mere plumbers, as opposed to fixing it themselves? The BBC has scared most home-owners off using tradesmen.

If I was called in to do a powerflush I would at least there was flow albeit partial to all rads. A full blockage wont be shifted by a flush.

One of our regulars on here was working illegally on gas (for the BBC) to show potential rip-offs. If our own are turning against us (Servotech) what hope do we have?

Dex, I know you have a knowledge of plumbing. I have a knowledge of maths - only to A level though.

So, as far I can can summise, the OP decided on a powerflush (god knows why), and has now fitted him/herself a new pump. The system is still not performing.

DIY has not worked, and before the poor sod wastes more money, I suggest they use a recommended tradesmen (the ones Roger seems fit to call rip-off merchants).

I hope its not Microbore.

What system have you got? If its the old gravity DHW/pumped CH on a back boiler, then I'd say your pump still isn't working. Your upstairs radiators will still be toasty due to convective circulation. Has your pump got power to it?

You are not a "naughty boy" and I have not slapped anything! Only stated the facts and what you could ( or rather SHOULD ) have done to protect your position.

Others can now read my advice and hopefully will not fall into that trap.

To enable us to further advise you tell us what the power flusher had to say about the problem.

Those who advise here are probably mostly at the top end of the trade and will always do their best to solve problems even when faced by owners who think they know better!

I once had quite an argument with this lady who worked for the BBC who wanted me to change her pump. All because some ignorant plumber charged her and told her it was a failed pump. Of course he could not change it himself because he knew his diagnosis was unlikely.

All I needed to do was to come and diagnose the problem. She agreed and later apologised when I found the ignition PCB was the problem!

Tony Glazier

There are many plumbers who are self proclaimed experts in powerflushing. Connecting a Powerflush machine to the system and running it for a couple of hours does not solve the problem. There are many ways to remove blockages from a system- be it from radiators or the piping system. It may sometimes require powerflushing to remove the problem or a combination of actions that involves powerflushing. In essence powerflushing is one one method that can solely solve the problem or part of a process that can aid in solving the problem. But it's upto the individual plumber and his/ her ability to understand the nature if the problem and work out how to approach the issues

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back