Powerflush resulted in leak: liability for carpet damage?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,

I've been reading here for ages, and I'm sorry that my first post is one asking for advice.

The situation is that I've had my system powerflushed by a local plumber and this caused a leak in one of my rads, which had corroded. As a result of the leak some water from the rad got onto the carpet and has stained it.

While I'm going to try and get the stain out, I'm not clear if I have any comeback to the plumber re any costs if I have to replace the carpet. The leak wasn't his fault, so far as I can see (and I'm perfectly happy with paying for the new rad, btw), but should he have put protective covering beneath the rad just in case? Or am I being precious here? :)

I have no idea if he has any responsibility, but am feeling a mite peeved that this was easily avoidable. Any advice very gratefully received!

Sponsored Links
I have it in my terms and conditions that we are not liable for any accidental spills. I would normally put dustsheets/tarpauling WHERE I am working, but as it seems this rad was elsewhere then no I don't think you can claim for a new carpet. I would certainly dispute.

On another note, at least it was picked up quickly, imagine that rad popping whilst you were at work.

Unless the rad was visibly in poor condition, in which case there would be no point flushing it, I'd say no not really.

Thank you both, very much, for your quick and helpful replies.

The plumber seems like a decent guy and I didn't want to try it on with him, so to speak, unfairly, and it sounds as though I would have been being unfair.

And absolutely - it could have been a nightmare scenario had the rad gone when they weren't in the same house!

Thanks again.

Sponsored Links
I normally advise before starting that powerflushing can expose weak spots in rads or system. I dont think he really has any liability if he gave you this warning

I would probably offer a compromise ie replace the radiator at the cost of materials only or reduced cost for a bit of PR

no is not his fault, in future maybe you could the customer could put some covers on the carpet.

why are people always trying to make claims, no wonder my insurance is sky high

no is not his fault, in future maybe you could the customer could put some covers on the carpet.

why are people always trying to make claims, no wonder my insurance is sky high

Thats all a bit uneccesary. The OP asked a fair question in a civil manner, received sensible responses, and acknowledged that his plumber wasn't a bad 'un.

As it happens, I also explain the process and get the client to sign a waiver. I've onlyhad one leak occur, and thankfully i was still there. He happily agreed to pay for a new rad, but I was kind with the labour.

I,ve never had a claim against me in 20 years of S\E, and my insurance premium is okay

I normally advise before starting that powerflushing can expose weak spots in rads or system. I dont think he really has any liability if he gave you this warning

I would probably offer a compromise ie replace the radiator at the cost of materials only or reduced cost for a bit of PR

Thanks very much for this. It's a good suggestion but honestly speaking, having read the responses, I think it would be petty of me to pursue it. I asked the question because I really had no idea what the accepted practice was. If he wasn't out of order not protecting the carpet - and evidently he wasn't - then end of story.

But thanks for responding and for a helpful suggestion - much appreciated.

Edited to add as I missed this in your comment:
as it happens he didn't actually warn me about the possibility, but that doesn't change my view of the matter now I know more thanks to the responses I've received. Thanks again.

If as u say he is a good guy he will probably replace the radiator at a reasonable cost I know I would especially for a reasonable customer who has just parted with a few hundred quid in my direction

i have disclaimer for this also, covers my ar5e. If customer wants to dustsheet everywhere theyre more than welcome too! Mine go where im working and to the front door. Luckily only had one leaker in last few years and noticed it straight away.
If anything its a sign the flush has been done properly that its cleared some cr*p away !

I also agree that he was not at fault in relation to the leak.

But he should have warned you of the possibility of a leak.

I find rad valves are the most likely to leak a little.

Many will not power flush systems over 10 years old!

Tony

i have disclaimer for this also, covers my a**e. If customer wants to dustsheet everywhere theyre more than welcome too! Mine go where im working and to the front door. Luckily only had one leaker in last few years and noticed it straight away.
If anything its a sign the flush has been done properly that its cleared some cr*p away !

I hadn't thought of it that way, but that's definitely cheered me up (along with the knowledge that the rad didn't go when I was away). Thanks. :D

I also agree that he was not at fault in relation to the leak.

But he should have warned you of the possibility of a leak.

I find rad valves are the most likely to leak a little.

Many will not power flush systems over 10 years old!

Tony

Ouch. My system is considerably more than 10 years old and was, apparently, filthy.

He didn't warn me about the possibility of leaks, but it doesn't really seem fair to me to pursue him over that; my thinking was that if he'd neglected to do something that was standard practice that would have prevented the damage, I should follow up with him. Evidently that isn't the case.

At the risk of being repetitive, thanks very much for your helpful answer.

You seem like a very reasonable person and I am sure your plumber will be the same

I have been powerflushing for many years and once we had a huge leak luckily it was on lino floor in the kitchen unfortunately the radiator was in such bad condition internally ,there was no way of knowing this .

The customer had this explained that pinholes leaky valves etc are possible and better to happen whilst a plumber is here then when no one is home

Take what Agile says with a pinch of salt ,whats this about ten years I have seen systems which are well over that in age and never needed any kind of flushing or chemicals.

The bonus is the new rad will be ultra efficient and modern and thus convect heat alot more efficiently too
:)

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back