Problems with my electric shower!

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hello and I hope someone can advise me.For the past 5 years we have used Mira showers.The 1st one we had broke and needed servicing.It run from scalding hot to freezing cold every 10 seconds or so.was told this due to limescale. broke again and we brought a Mira play shower.We have had this shower about 3 years. We had to have it serviced due to it not heating water up.We were told it was the thermal switch and it needed to be replaced due to limescale damage.Mira charge for this (£140).same prob happened after about 6 months (in jan 2012) and we were charged £140. Again being told it was due to limescale.it stopped heating any water in July 2012 and we had Mira out again not expecting to be told limescale again as surly not enough time has past for that to happen.yet again we were told limescale damage and charged £70.had a new thermal swith,flow regulator and one other part changed in the shower replaced.again today it has stopped heating water so in the space of a year that is the third time my shower has stopped heating the water! I know that when I phone Mira tomorrow I will be told the same old thing that if it is damaged due to limescale that if it is due to limescale my new shower parts will not be covered by warranty and I will have to pay another service charge of £70-£140. Does this sound right surly they can't say their products will only last a few months due to limescale, if that's the case then their products are not fit for purpose and should not be sold in hardwater areas! Does anyone agree my shower should be lasting for then 7 months?

Sponsored Links
Yes sounds like you have limescale problems.
How is your kettle?
My electric shower a fairly cheap 9.5kw from argos has been going for about 5 years.

I suggest fitting a magnetic limescale reducer in line with the shower should stop it.
But why are you paying mira to come and fix a shower for £140 when a new electric shower from argos only costs about £70-90 ? All it that is required
is connecting the electric and water up.

Tco's don't just fail due to limescale.
They must be changing/servicing another part of the shower aswell useally the showerhead, filter.
You can't just change a tco and off he go's you must find what caused the tco to fail in the first place.

showerhead, filter is maintenance on a regular basis that is down to you to do.

Yes sounds like you have limescale problems.
How is your kettle?
My electric shower a fairly cheap 9.5kw from argos has been going for about 5 years.

I suggest fitting a magnetic limescale reducer in line with the shower should stop it.
But why are you paying mira to come and fix a shower for £140 when a new electric shower from argos only costs about £70-90 ? All it that is required
is connecting the electric and water up.

Have to agree, I tell my customers its cheaper to get an Argos Shower than try and repair their original, as you say anything from £50 to £70 quid less than couple of hours work at most to remove and fit, lasts about 3/5 years average use, why waste money !

Sponsored Links
Thanks for all the help. The next time we used the shower the following morning it seemed ok. Then we went to use it that night it wasn't even letting out any water. Soon realised that there was no water pressure in the top of the house and very little on bottom floor, this was the same for some neighbours. The next day pressure was back fine and shower working well. I know if pressure and water flow are not good then this can effect how the shower works, don't really know what was going on but ok now.
I do clean the shower head out often but not the filter. Information with these showers say never to open up and do anything yourself! And I wouldn't even know how! I don't ever plan to let Mira service it again and if it does break anytime soon I will complain about their products. I have never considered buying a cheap (less then £100) shower as just assumed they wouldn't work well or last long but may do this when my shower does pack up again, and I know it will. We do have a "scale watcher" fitted to a pipe downstairs to help with lime scale and will have something added to pipe leading directly into shower. Thanks again for advice.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back