Property Developer - Bodged Plumbing

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I am sure this happens to everyone, this time it is us.

We bought a renovated property as a buy-to-let. Not long after the tenants moved in, they were complaining about water pressure loss on the combi boiler. This had gone on for FIVE MONTHS, which is no credit to plumbers in the Kettering area who are all to willing to go and LOOK at the job but NOT actually DO anything to repair.

We finally found the leak under the concrete in the kitchen. And the bodged plumbing installation is clear for all to see in my picture album (3 photos). The cowboy renovator has used plastic push fittings (T-Piece) on the 15mm copper pipe. It is a right mess to say the least. These pipes go through the wall to a radiator in the lounge and the tee'd pieces go up to the radiator in the kitchen.

What I want to do is replace the plastic push-fit T-Piece fittings with soldered joints. Is this possible? I assume I will have to chisel more floor out for room and, drain the central heating down. Problem being that this picture is also the lowest point of the central heating system.

As I have NOT been able to get a plumber that actually does any hands-on work (other than just survey issues - and for call-out money), I am going to have to do it myself.

Sponsored Links
Merry Christmas!

I do this sort of work all the time, expect to pay £200-300 to get it fixed.
I would use compression joints, but you would have to leave access to the joints.

Andy

Merry Christmas!

I do this sort of work all the time, expect to pay £200-300 to get it fixed.
I would use compression joints, but you would have to leave access to the joints.

Andy

Merry Christmas to you too, Andy!

I am on an offshore platform in the middle of the North Sea, Norwegian sector, so no Christmas & New Year for me this year!

I will try and sort when I get home. Are compression fittings 'recommended' for under floors? Iwould prefer solder, if I can get in OK. But more concerned about the pipes still being wet inside, if soldering.

It is a concrete floor with laminated flooring on top of that - so it's a pain everytime we want to take it up. So I want to make sure it is the LAST TIME I touch that floor!!! But, we will be filling with sand so you are still able to access the joing. The 'hole' is by the back door, hinged side - so not too bad.

Also, I want to renew the pipe going through the (cavaty) wall and into the lounge and radiator there. We had an idea it was leaking underthe floor when water was coming out of the wall where the radiator pipe comes out. And I am of the opnion that that pipework is also corroded/damaged, etc.

Could you see the pictures attached OK ?

I would be using compression joints because you would have to remove ALL the water from the pipe work to solder the joints.

The compression joint will last but as you say fill the hole with sand.

Pictures were lovely and clear.

Andy

Sponsored Links
I am sure this happens to everyone, this time it is us.

), I am going to have to do it myself.
Perhaps if you had prayed to the guy on your T shirt - he`d have told you not to buy to let :idea: He never owned a house :mrgreen:

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back