Proximity Outdoor Light to Flue Outlet

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,

Installing an outdoor light on a wall where there is an horizontal boiler flue outlet, just wondered what the rules/common sense is in respect of the distances between the two fittings.

Many thanks,

Damian

Sponsored Links
The manufacturers instructions for your mystery boiler give a guide to flue positions in relation to structures, pipes etc.

Thanks.

Potterton Suprima 120.

Lots of advice on flue positions, unfortunately nothing about proximity to external lights or other external electrics (e.g. PIR sensor).

Well you don't want the flue gases melting the PIR nor setting it off... a bit of common sense is required as there is nothing, as you said, in the manual.

At least a foot would be my guess.

Sponsored Links
Well you don't want the flue gases melting the PIR nor setting it off... a bit of common sense is required as there is nothing, as you said, in the manual.

At least a foot would be my guess.
Makes sense - kitchen sockets have to be at least 300mm from the nearest source of heat and/or wet area

I am thinking more from nuisance activation of the light. a couple of inches should be enough from a heat safety point of view - as per rules on downpipes etc.

Thanks guys.

My plan is to move the wall light closer to the flue (400mm) and install the PIR well away from the light and flue. Know all about the flue gases kicking PIR's on - the neighbour opposite has installed a security light right above their flue and I have the joy of it lighting it up my kitchen every 5 mins through the winter when the boiler kicks in.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back