Push button toilet doesn't flush

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
The push button on my toilet has no resistance at all, and the cistern is almost completely empty. There doesn't seem to be anything broken or disconnected, but I don't really know what I'm looking for...

A week ago the toilet was continuously running water which was causing the boiler to make noises, so I rang British Gas and an engineer came and turned down the pressure which stopped it, but the toilet hasn't flushed since. However, the engineer also looked at the toilet, so I don't know if he fiddled around and disconnected something or not. The only way I can get it to flush is by pouring a bucket of water into the cistern, but it empties almost straight away.

I've included pictures to show the inside of the cistern and how it's connected to the push button.

Any idea what the problem may be?

Sponsored Links
Check for service valve on pipework to WC is not closed, also check that the bell float is not jammed in position preventing the valve from opening.
Bell float is on the blue component on right of picture.

When refilling check that the flapper is fully closing, you may see bubbles around it if water is be let through.

Flapper is component connected to button

Do you lose all water in the cistern when filling, without using flush?
Any signs of water being dumped out at the bottom of the cistern where it sits on the pan(toilet bowl)?

Like Prentice says + that looks like the cable from the pushbutton might be snagging the float when lid is closed :idea:

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back