Radiator bleed valve sheared off

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
As the title, guess I tightened too hard.

Thing is the one radiator that sheared is different to all the other radiators in the house. The others all have a large bolt at the very side of the radiator with the bleed nipple in the middle. These appear to be the standard 1/2 " BSP valve which I've found online.

This has a much smaller bolt than the other radiators holding the bleed screw (an 11mm spanner fits it). Anyone any ideas what I'm looking for/where I can get one.

Next bit, if a replacement can be found I assume I close both radiator valves down undo the screw, catch water until it stops and screw in replacement (should it be available) with PTFE on the threads?

I've tried to add a picture of the radiator in case that helps.

All help appreciated.

Sponsored Links
Fair point!

A close up. I'm reluctant to remove the valve until I have a new one to put in! As above 11mm spanner fits it (I realise this bears no relation to the thread size I need...)

ef4fbbf01bf2a5f42ba379011c5e7b6f.image.180x180.jpg

http://www.partridgeshadleigh.co.uk...tor/radiator-bleed-valve-1-8-bsp/0879/reviews

Sponsored Links
Thanks. Ordered. So to double check: turn TRV and lockshield off, unscrew bleed valve, catch water, insert new valve with PTFE on threads, open trv/locksheld, open bleed screw and bleed?

Thanks. Ordered. So to double check: turn TRV and lockshield off, unscrew bleed valve, catch water, insert new valve with PTFE on threads, open trv/locksheld, open bleed screw and bleed?

loads of ptfe up by the nut end you need to form a "washer" it's a parallel thread so it doesn't seal on the threads

yep thats all there is to it, but dont overtighten the fitting this time or its new radiator time

be careful just turning the thermostatic valve off as it may still pop open while your working on it - Use the decorators cap that came with the TRV

So, got my new bleed valve.....

Turned off radiator valves....

Unscrewed the old one, put PTFE on the new (1/8 BSP) valve only to find it is too big.

Any ideas - can't see a smaller one on the net? As it is I've put the old valve back in and wonder whether just to open the nut which contains the sheared bleed valve if I ever need to bleed the radiator.

I suppose new radiator, but this seems a big solution to a small problem!

Other pics (the shiny valve is the new one that's too big)

i wanted one of these a long time ago as my plumber could not locate one,i had a go (at locating new air valve).

your radiator looks like same as mine in a previous property i had,mine were center rads,sold by plumb center as their own brand part of the centerbrand range.

I do not know if these are still made/available as changes happen.

these are called micro valves and they are metric size and even 8 years ago they did not sell them seperate and no other air valve would fit.

the rad that had the broken air vent was a long double £££ so i had to buy the smallest centerad radiator and remove the air vent to fit to the defective radiator.

the professionals here will confirm if this is a plumb centre brand radiator.

i also had same type of rad that always filled with air on a communal boiler system and i fitted one of these valves,they even do one for plumb center rad. www.nlbengineering.co.uk

click hygroseal autovents

scroll down to MICRO and even a center rad is listed.

Or you can just use a spanner to loosen the vent when bleeding is required but a lot of care is needed when doing this.

good luck.

Just to update,thanks for putting me on the right track. Turns out was a Myson rad and they very kindly sent me out a replacement which fits perfectly. Thought I'd update in case anyone has the problem I the future. It was indeed a "centre rad" made by Myson for plumb centre. They call it their "shoulder valve".

I looked at the automatic vent things but it looks like these replace the small bleed screw that fits in the valve, this would have been no good to me as it sheared off flush and I wouldn't be able to remove it.

only just saw this thread, could have told you thats a myson roll top rad. sorry! Its worth remembering as if they ever need replacing they are dumb sizes and are not easily replaced with other types

Anybody know where I could get a Myson roll top shoulder valve, Ive looked but struggled to locate one, any help is much appreciated.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back