Radiator Inlet Leaking (not valve!!)

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,

I've just discovered that there is a leak coming from the inlet of one of the radiators in my hall. Its definitely not coming from the valve, but from the bit that screws into the actual radiator. I don't know what it is called as I can't find a radiator parts diagram anywhere so I've uploaded a photo of the part.

It seems to have a different shaped (square-ish) nut to the rest of the radiator's nuts. I've tried to dislodge it with a standard spanner but it seems really tight. I dont want to damage the radiator so decided to post on this forum for some help. Do I need a special key to undo this thing?

I am assuming that this "thing" needs to be unscrewed, some new ptfe wound round the thread and screwed back in tightly. Is that right? Am I missing anything else?

GALLERY]

Sponsored Links
That one in the pic looks like it will take a spanner. The ones that need an internal key usually don't have those flats.
And will be a s*d to turn if it's been leaking along the threads. WD40 might help. Careful you don't pull the whole rad off the wall!

Sponsored Links
You don't need a special radiator spanner, any good adjustable will do the job, and these tails do not use internal keys. Put your shoulder against the rad when undoing and you will be OK. Clean threads and re tape. Ptfe or jointing paste round the olive before reconnecting the rad to the valve.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back