RC Plus/WR1 - Problems Starting Boiler

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I'm having problems getting a Worcester Junior 28i combi boiler lit for central heating now the temperature is dropping (it works fine for hot water).

It has the British Gas-branded WR1 receiver and RC Plus transmitter/thermostat. The transmitter flame indicator is lighting both when it should both from timer settings and manually, but the boiler is not lighting and the receiver has both red and green LEDs on permanently (no flashing).

I've gone through the set-up procedure - the first problem is that after several attempts, pressing the No.2 "Override" button on the WR1 receiver does not cause the boiler to light - the green LED lights, but the boiler stays silent.

In addition, when attempting to re-pair the receiver and transmitter, the receiver red LED is supposed to flash for 7 seconds after the batteries are put into the transmitter - it doesn't. I've gone through the procedure several times to no avail.

Is this a problem with the receiver? Can anyone offer any advice as to how to remedy? 15 degrees inside feels pretty chilly ...

Sponsored Links
Sounds like the receiver may be shot but before doing anything try this.
Turn the power off at the spur and remove batteries from the stat. Switch power back on, then press both buttons on the receiver, should flash red then stay illuminated. Let go and put the batteries back in the stat and turn the stat up and down and see if the receiver responds

Thanks for the quick response.

Just tried that - the Receive LED flashed, but the boiler isn't turning on (no noises, no green burner light).

The red LED on the receiver is flashing intermittently now.

Sponsored Links
Just been through your process again - boiler has miraculously come to life.

What I did notice is that the red LED did not illuminate until I released the two buttons - I'll see if it still works via the timer in the morning.

Thanks.

Still having problems with this - the boiler will not respond the thermostat either manually or via timer..

When turning the spur back on and pressing the two buttons on the receiver (as above), the red LED flashes and then goes out whilst the buttons are still held.

When the temperature on the thermostat is changed, the red LED on the receiver flashes and the green LED lights, but the boiler does nothing and I can't hear anything like a relay noise.

The override button turns the green LED on but again there's no response from the boiler.

The boiler turns on fine for hot water - is there anything else I can try?

A bit of digging suggests this is probably a duff capacitor in the receiver. Will try replacing that first.

Sorry to highjack post, but I have the same issue with my bg branded stat and wr1 receiver (boiler firing for hot water and stat set up correctly, new batteries and calling for heat), only my receiver has none of the LEDs lit. I'm wondering if the receiver is dead or if this could be resolved with the replacement capacitor (I used to replace parts on pcbs in a previous job so no problem with a bit of soldering). Heating was working fine a few days ago so I know the two were paired then but chilly since. could it be the capacitor issue even though I have no leds? Any suggestions much appreciated!

These recivers pack up all the time and are the first goto suspect fault in these cases.

Normally as the reciver turns green you can also hear a faint clicking noise from it (the relay activating to tell the boiler to come on)

when there faulty, a lot of the time the green light will come on with no click and thus not sending a signal to the boiler.

If your comfortable and safe with electrics, you can power the lot off, take reciever off and bridge the common and signal connections with a pice of wire, reinstate power and if boiler comes on for heating then you know that the boilers ok and its something to do with the stat/reciver

I have this problem and I realise this is an old thread but I can hear the relay click when I press the override button in the wr1. Does this mean Its something to do with the boiler and not the wr1 ? Also which are the common and signal connections?

I would say its not conclusive without electrical tests.

Most often the receiver though.

Tony

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back