re-charge expansion vessel on baxi combi 105

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi all,

I have water dripping from my boiler and I was told an issue may be the expansion vessel needs re-charging

Is this something I can do myself ?, and if so could somebody please tell me how to do it please ??

Many thanks

Jason

Sponsored Links
Water dripping? i take it you mean from the pipe that goes outside.
Empty boiler , at top of boiler there is a plate held in place with 4 screws remove this and you will see the top of the vessel with a valve with a cap on it .
Connect a foot pump with a gauge on it to the valve and pump up to 1 bar then replace cap and plate.

Hi there,

Sorry I never made myself clear, yes there is water coming out of the outside overflow pipe, but it is also coming from inside the boiler itself (somewhere), as im not a plumber I cannot see exactly where it is coming from. But I was told it could be the expansion vessel that need to be re-pressured or that it is broken.

Jason

How come you started a new thread?

A quick tell if the exp vessel is goosed, is undo the shraeder valve cap, and push in the pin.
If water comes out then the vessel is knackered. If not, then recharge it using a footpump. Need to isolate boiler and drain down first.
Recharge vessel to about 1 bar.

Graham

Sponsored Links
How come you started a new thread?

A quick tell if the exp vessel is goosed, is undo the shraeder valve cap, and push in the pin.
If water comes out then the vessel is knackered. If not, then recharge it using a footpump. Need to isolate boiler and drain down first.
Recharge vessel to about 1 bar.

Graham

I did as you said with the pin and water was coming out so I guess it is goosed ! any idea on the cost of a new one at all and any idea on fitting costs (I am based in the Midlands)

Thank you Jason

Sometimes the EXV can be replaced with the boiler on the wall. But it can need to be taken off the wall so adding an external EXV is sometimes a better option.

Either way an RGI is needed as the flue has to be moved.

The only DIY solution is adding an external EXV.

Tony

Sometimes the EXV can be replaced with the boiler on the wall. But it can need to be taken off the wall so adding an external EXV is sometimes a better option.

Either way an RGI is needed as the flue has to be moved.

The only DIY solution is adding an external EXV.

Tony

Thanks for the quick reply Tony, do you have any idea how much an expansion vessel costs for a baxi 105e boiler ?

Also what roughly is the difference in fitting time (for a plumber) regarding fitting an external EXV against the dreaded removing the boiler from the wall. This been done by a plumber and by myself as I wouldnt have a clue.

Cheers Tony

About £60 to buy.

About an hour to replace on wall IF the flue can easily be moved!

Nearly two hours to take off wall to replace.

Hourly charges vary from about £30 to £90.

I once did an off wall in about 40 min but that had gone very well which is unusual.

Tony

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back