Re-piping rads - best method.

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I'm going to be re piping the rads in our house as the 6mm micro bore looks terrible clipped ontop of the skirting boards and is kinked and dented in places.

I'd like to bury the pipes in the wall for the downstairs rads to have them looking as neat as possible, am I best using plastic pipe exiting out of 1gang metal box with faceplate like you see in new build homes or burying copper tube?

Is there any advantage of using a larger bore pipe I.e 10/15mm over the micro bore? The upstairs rads will be just 15mm copper through floor and straight up into rads.

Thanks

Sponsored Links
If you're using 15mm upstairs, keep it the same downstairs. Plastic fittings will be harder to chase into the walls than copper ones due to their bulky nature, and also plastic pipes can't be detected with stud/cable/metal detectors, so I'd go for copper, but make sure it's protected to prevent it rotting.

What's the best way to protect the copper from corroding just insulation tape?
Looking to replace from the existing 22mm flow and return that run the length of the house with the micro bore manifolds at the end.

Cheers

Sponsored Links
You might as well try to replace the whole of the microbore system as can become terribly clogged over time even a power flush won't sort. 15mm to the rads.

You can get anti corrosion lagging which is nasty sticky stuff. Plastic pipe is undetectable but won't corrode.

www.archwayplumbingandbathrooms.co.uk

I've seen plumbers wrapping plastic pipe in foil tape, is that to make it detectable?

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back