Reducing Pressure In Ariston Combi Boiler

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi guys

First post here and I wouldn't be posting unless I was in desperate need of help

I've got an Ariston combi boiler which means I have to periodically top up the pressure . I had a bit of an accident which meant I didn't turn off the top up valve completely which meant the pressure went up to the red zone 3 bar and I need to reduce the pressure and wonder if there's anyway to do this ?

I read on the net that one way to do this is bleeding a radiator and tried this by bleeding two buckets full worth of water but the pressure has remained totally unchanged . Is there anything else I can do to reduce the pressure ? I should also add I'm totally useless when it come to DIY and plumbing and bleeding a radiator is an achievement in itself

Sponsored Links
There should be a drain tap somewhere on the system, often on one of the radiator valves. Attach a hose and open it up. You have fully closed the filling loop haven't you ?
You shouldn't need to regularly top up a sealed system. There is problem that needs sorting. Adding new water all the time will corrode your system from the inside out. Either that or its costing a small fortune in inhibitor.

Yes I certainly made sure the filling loop has been turned off . So just to confirm simply bleeding a radiator won't in fact reduce the pressure in the boiler ?

I've just had a look at my radiators and there doesn't seem to be anything that resembles a draining valve

you could do it via the bleed point on a rad. tho, it may take a while! make sure you have plenty of cloths/kitchen roll to hand to catch the water.

Sponsored Links
You THINK that you have turned off the filling loop.

But I don't think you have!

Turn off main stopcock and THEN bleed some water from the rads.

You may find that I speak sense!

Tony

The filling loop is certainly turned off . It was not turning it off completely that caused the problem a couple of weeks ago

And turn off the stop cock THEN bleed the radiators ? Ah that makes sense now

The expansion vessel may also need attention.

See the FAQ on this site.

"Turned off" does not mean just turned to the apparent off position! It means turned so that no water is flowing.

To avoid problems it needs to be sufficiently "off" that there are no drips for a 10 minute period !

Tony

I did double check the filling loop Tony and you may very well have been right about the filling loop . I did make sure after I saw your last post that the filling loop was turned off totally this now as opposed to " merely turned off "

Thanks for the advice to check the FAQ

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back