Remeha Avanta Plus help, squealing when heating on.....

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Ever since I started having my heating on my combi boiler has been making strange squealing type noises. The noises only occur when the heating is on. Usually it is quiet at first, but as soon as a tap is switched on it starts squealing.

A plumber has been round, first time couldn't find anything wrong, I was told they tried, but the boiler wouldn't 'perform'. 2nd time they turned on taps upstairs and it did make the noise. He said we needed a new pump (it was explained to my step-dad, but all I know is a new pump was the answer). Anyway, new pump installed today, no difference! Same noise constantly with the heating on.

I had a look at what I believe is the pressure gauge, it was at just above the 2, I switched on the kitchen tap and it fell to exactly on 2 and the noise stopped.

Does anyone have any ideas? I need to go back to my step-dad (he owns the house and I pay rent, so maintenence is his responsibility), but I would like some kind of idea of what might be wrong. I would like to be warm, but this noise is driving me mad!

Thank you in advance.....Apologies if this makes no sense, boilers aren't my strong point :)

Sponsored Links
sqealing noises tend to be moving part`s
does it do it when on heating only or when on hot water as well

It does it when heating and hot water are both on. It is fine with just hot water, no problems. But as soon as the heating is on and a tap is turned on, off it goes. But if it is going and the kitchen tap is turned on, it goes until the tap is turned off again.

Sponsored Links
Sorry to be ignorant, but what is TRV?

Past few days when the heating has turned itself on it has been ok, there has been a fairly quiet "wailing/kettle boiling" noise, but bareable, then after roughly an hour it gets louder and I have to turn the heating off.

It seems that having a tap running makes the boiler nice and quiet, but I can't have a tap running all the time.

The boiler was only fitted 3 years ago, and is regularly serviced. We do live in a hard-water area though.

Is there anything that we can do to give the system a clean out? Or is getting the plumber back in the way to go? Even though he failed the first time round to actually sort this out.

Thank you :)

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back