Replace Kitchen Sink Waste with Basket Strainer Waste

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi all,

As the subject suggests, I would like to replace my kitchen sink waste with a basket strainer waste to try and prevent bits of food going down the plughole and I am looking for some advice from those in the know as to whether this would be possible please.

I have taken a couple of pictures;

Current kitchen sink waste - overall diameter is 70mm / 2 ¾" and the centre diameter is 45mm / 1¾".

Sink1.jpg

Underneath the kitchen sink the waste pipe seems to be 40mm and the overflow 25mm - the overflow pipe just goes straight into the side/bottom of the kitchen sink waste, and feels very secure - could this be solvent welded?

Sink2.jpg

So based on the measurements above, I am just wondering whether something like this would fit - http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/MCALPINE-...tchen_KitchenFurniture_EH&hash=item1c264e6f4d and would I need a new overflow pipe? (the link includes one).

Also, when I did my research before coming here I found that plumbers putty is advised against, I should use silicone, could anyone recommend a type, brand etc that I should use?

Finally, I have read in my DIY book, and online about "HEPVO" waterless valves, to replace standard P trap, looking at the picture of under my kitchen sink - would I be able to fit one? The reason I might go with one of those would be mainly stopping gurgling when washing machine is in use, sometimes get smells when washing machine is in use and also apparently can save a bit of space in the cupboard.

Here is a link - would I need to look for a "40mm" version, would "32mm" be too small?;

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/40MM-CV1-...DIY_Materials_Plumbing_MJ&hash=item4605800fd3

P.S., I am a total Plumbing newbie so sorry if any of these questions are really obvious! and thank you in advance for your help!

Links in this post may contain affiliate links for which DIYnot may be compensated.
Sponsored Links
The basket strainer waste will be too large to fit in the hole you have.
You will need a new sink if you want to do this.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back