Replaced central heating pump. Now hot rads but no hot water

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Just fitted a new central heating pump and radiators are piping hot. Tried hot water taps and after a bit of spluttering the water came through but not getting hot water and tank feels cold. Any pointers please?

Sponsored Links
Changing the pump should not have affected the flow of your hot water.

If you drained the system to fit the pump, did you bleed the air vent normally by your cylinder ?

Is your clock calling for hot water? Time and day set correctly?

When the hot water is calling do the flow and return pipes on your cylinder get hot?

Sponsored Links
Timer is set to constant so ok on that front.

Tried the bleed vent but it would not undo, so undid the housing it sits in and only hot water came out and no hissing from air escaping.

Have discovered a British Gas valve marked BGMVSP-23 which has 22mm on both sides and a 22mm going into the bottom. None of the 'levers' would move so i took the top cover off and discovered two loose springs. Could see them through a gap so removed them with pliers. No resistance as if they were attached to anything. Is this some sort of actuator valve, and if so what is it's role in the system? I'm assuming it's broken and not allowing hot water into the tank.

Thanks for the answers so far

The valve controls where the heated water from the boiler goes either to the rads the cylinder or both. Can you remove the actuator to see if the valve turns freely?

is it motoring at all ?

A Drayton three port head / actuator would be a direct replacement without having to Change the brass body

Latest:
Removed the actuator from the valve and the valve was stuck. Freed that off and moving freely now. Took the top off of the actuator and there were bits of broken blue plastic laying about and the lever for W-M-H was there as well, but broken. What does the single lever on the front of the unit control?

Was thinking i could leave the actuator off long enough to get some hot water in the cylinder but seeing as i moved it around i have lost the position the valve stem should be in. It can only be in one position to fit the actuator in place but this could be 108 degrees out i'm guessing.

Any idea about manually turning the valve to get some hot water into the tank guys?

Turn the valve gently with a pair of pliers (dont force it!) until the port to the HW cylinder gets hot. This will get you HW until a proper repair can be done.

None of the 'levers' would move so i took the top cover off and discovered two loose springs. Could see them through a gap so removed them with pliers. No resistance as if they were attached to anything. Is this some sort of actuator valve, and if so what is it's role in the system? I'm assuming it's broken and not allowing hot water into the tank.

Sounds like you broke it!

You can often replace it with a new head unit if you can get one.

Tony

Picked up new actuator / valve this morning and having checked it i think your right - old one is broken. Live and learn but the plastic post for one spring had snapped off, and the three position lever also.

Now to replace the valve. Looks like the hot water tank and header need to be drained to do this. Am i correct?

If the valve spindle is moving freely then you can probably get away with just replacing the head!

Tony

What valve did you buy?

If it's a Drayton, you just clip it on to the existing body and wire it in

The spindle is moving freely on the old unit but will rotate through 360 degrees, while the new one only moves a few mm's either way. Can the spindle be 180 degrees out or will it work either way?

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back