Replacing a Sangamo 410 with a Drayton LP522

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I did a search and found another similar post but it's just not quite close enough for me to understand.

I have bought a Drayton LP522 to replace a Sangamo 410 heating and hot water timer. I looked at the guidance to say which wires that are currently connected on the Sangamo should go to which connection on the Drayton and I would have a spare red live that currently shows going to the 'motor' (connection no. 5 below)

There are two cables going into the Sangamo. Each has a red, blue, black and green/yellow.

The Sangamo connections are :

1. HW Red from cable 1
2. HW Blue from cable 1
3. HW Blue from cable 2
4. (N) Green/yellow from cable 2 (diagram shows connection to motor)
5. (L) Red from cable 2 (diagram shows connection to motor)
6. CH no connection
7. CH Black from cable 2
8. CH Black from cable 1

Backplate earth - Green/yellow from cable 1

The guide says the connections should be:

LP522 E N L 1 2 3 4
Sangamo E 4 3 2 7 1 8

This would leave me with the wire currently on position 5 as a spare. I'm also confused at connection 4 on the Sangamo which is a Green Yellow and shows as (N) on the diagram.

Can anyone point me in the right direction for connections please ?

Sponsored Links
Possibly a spare live wire,old clock would most likely have a common live feed for both heating&hot water,a hot water on/hot water off,heating on & heating off connection,safely terminate the spare and see if it works.

Sponsored Links
That looked so promising. Plugged in the new unit after wiring the backplate and no power to it. Tried reconnecting the Sangamo and that didn't work at all either. Traced it to a blown 3 amp fuse in the airing cupboard. Now back to the faulty Sangamo with no timer but at least can switch heating and water on and off manually.

I'm not certain whether it's something to do with the green and yellows, one goes to the neutral terminal and one to earth but it works on the Sangamo.

Possibly a spare live wire,old clock would most likely have a common live feed for both heating&hot water,a hot water on/hot water off,heating on & heating off connection,safely terminate the spare and see if it works.

What would be the safest way to terminate what appears to be the spare live ?

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back