Replacing old 3-wire room thermostat

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi there, I have a very old 3-wire mechanical room thermostat. I'd ideally like to replace this with an electronic one, but all the ones that I can see are for 2-wire installation. It's just the thermostat I need, this is in the lounge, I already have the timer controls by the boiler in the kitchen.

Do I specifically need a 3-wire thermostat ? I looked at a Honeywell 2-wire one that had various wiring diagrams including one with three wires going into it, but it didn't have an explanative text so I couldn't figure it out.

I have found 3-wire rotary ones, but not an 3-wire electronic ones with a display, though perhaps I am missing/misunderstanding something.

Thanks in advance for any help !

Sponsored Links
Don't make the neutral connection. It's there on an electro-mechanical room thermostat just to power the anticipator heater, giving closer control.

You just need live in, and switched live out.

So I will be alright with a 2-wire electronic one then ? Great, thanks !

Sponsored Links
So I will be alright with a 2-wire electronic one then ? Great, thanks !
Yes, provided you want to put batteries in it every year even though there is mains power available from your wiring.

Alternatively buy a mains powered electronic thermostat.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back