Replacing programmer and thermostat

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I currently have a manky old ACL Lifestyle LP241 programmer, and a ACL thermostat which is pretty much like this;

http://www.h-i-e.co.uk/Acl-Drayton-RTS1-Zoom.gif

Can anyone advise some new replacements? I'd like the thermostat to be digital, but is this possible with the current wiring? Currently there is a live, a neutral, an earth, and a yellow wire. :oops:

Also, would the wiring remain the same with the programmer? The programmer also currently has an isolation switch next to it. Would this have to remain?

Thanks very much

Sponsored Links
yellow should be the live out of stat to boiler , or MV depending on your set up

digi stat only requires 2 wires , L (red) in & L out (yellow) no neutral or earth required in most ? all cases ?

check wiring prior to tampering , work safely , isolate electric , check that it is isolated

You never know what some one has done ;) Drayton make a digi stat

More or less any 2 channel (hw and ch) programmer will do. There is a mark 4 version of your Lifestyle available for an easy change over. Or, they do the the 5/2 day version - LP522, or 7 day version - LP722.

Something like a Honeywell DT90e digital room stat would be a good choice, but there are lots of digi stats out there. You would only need the live and switched live wires for a digital stat, as they are powered by battery. The neutral and earth need to be made safe and tucked out of the way in wall box.

You will probably still need the isolator as it will power the ch system.

So theoretically this should just clip in and replace the old one?

www.screwfix.com/p/drayton-lp722-mk4-programmer/26078#

But it does say it's a 4 wire installation? It has an instruction manual download so will have a read through that.

I've never even used the current one as I've only recently bought the house and the gas was turned off at the main while getting work done and it hasn't been on since. I guess I should have checked the boiler and everything properly worked first. :oops:

Then something like this?

http://www.screwfix.com/p/honeywell-dt90e-digital-room-thermostat-eco/41365

Thanks for the replies chaps. :)

Sponsored Links
So theoretically this should just clip in and replace the old one?

www.screwfix.com/p/drayton-lp722-mk4-programmer/26078#

But it does say it's a 4 wire installation?

You will have to check the wire positions, but from memory, yes clip onto old backplate.

It's only a 4 wire install if you have a certain system setup - eg. S Plan - 2 x motorised valves.

If a y plan - 3 port mid. pos. valve, then 5 wires. Extra wire will be hw off.

Well I think I've buggered it. :oops:

Had to move the box to a slightly higher position to match the other sockets and despite labelling everything up, I'm getting nothing on either the new programmer or the old. :confused:

Guess I'll have to get someone in. :(

Do you mean that programmer not getting power, or not able to select hw or ch?

What system have you got, inc. number/type motorised valves? How many wires to programmer?

Do you mean that programmer not getting power, or not able to select hw or ch?

What system have you got, inc. number/type motorised valves? How many wires to programmer?

No power to the programmer.

It's a Potterton Suprima 60 boiler, with a Lifestyle LP241 programmer (old one). I don't know what motorised valves are I'm afraid. :oops:

Wires in to the programmer is a lot. Two wires coming down from the boiler, twin and earth power, and then another to the fused switch.

View media item 76049
View media item 76050
View media item 76051

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back