Return flow pipe blockage

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
The following is my situation and would appreciate any advice.
My boiler is a 22 year old closed circuit worcester. Boiler parts have been replaced over a number of years so I think the fernox must be well diluted.
The original piping is copper micro bore and 2 radiators are grey plastic
(Acorn ? ) 10 mm.
I had planned to flush with cleaner and add inhibitor but on replacing a radiator I found the return flow pipe (plastic ) is blocked 1 metre down the pipe.The system has been partially drained and topped up and going good except for the blocked radiator.
My problem is I can not get a plumber or one who can tell me when he can replace the blocked portion of pipe. I have the cleanser and inhibitor not added it yet.
I would prefer to have the tradesman do the work but I can't get one. I enjoy doing what I can and am tempted replace this section of pipe if I can.
Any advice appreciated ie reading material, web site ? . Cheers

Sponsored Links
If its easy enough to access that blocked pipe (beneath the floor maybe) then there's no problem with doing it yourself.
You will need the correct insert to fit in the inside of the plastic and the plastic ideally should be cut square with the correct bladed tool.
Personally I run copper up to the radiator valves, and use compression fittings with copper washers where the join is.
Of course, it could be possible just to flush that blockage out!
John :)

As Burnerman says, letting in a new piece of pipe is very straightforward. Plenty of videos showing you how.

Or, if you're feeling brave, you could shift the blockage like Tom Plumb. Just be very careful if using air pressure.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back