Room Thermostat for Ferroli Optimax HE31C

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,

A few years ago we had a CH system installed in a property that we let.
The boiler is a Ferroli HE31C
I am interested to know if the room stat is suitable. It is a Honeywell 6360B. This stat is fitted with an anticipator so is really designed for mains voltage and 3 wire connection.
I noticed that it only had 2 wires connected so had a look at the boiler manual which specifies a 'Volt Free' thermostat.
So firstly, yes, it would be correct that only 2 wires are connected but secondly with it not switching mains then the anticipator is going to do nothing.

Is there a more suitable thermostat ?

In view of the complicated and fiddly Ferroli programmer would it be better just setting the boiler to be 'On' and installing a battery powered programmable thermostat ?

Thanks,

andytw

Sponsored Links
The 6360B is designed for a switched mains boiler, so it is not suitable for your boiler.

If you want just a thermostat, Honeywell DT90e or DT92E are both suitable. But if you want to fit a programmable stat go for one of the Honeywell CM9XX or CM7XX range. theCM7XX range are specifically designed for rented properties and incorporate a 'Service Reminder' feature.

Ok many thanks for the reply.

Is the Service Reminder message so that the tenant can hassle the landlord ? Noted but not required in my case :D

I will look into those model numbers for the Honeywell products.

I had picked out a Horstmann Centaurstat 7 Room Thermostat.
Any opinions ?

I have contacted Ferroli and there is a link block that can be inserted in place of the clock so that would be good as it would save having to make sure the in built clock is set to manual operation and then not fiddled with.

I would be glad to see the back of the in built clock as it really is a pain to set up.

andytw

I had picked out a Horstmann Centaurstat 7 Room Thermostat. Any opinions?
Horstmann products are not as highly regarded as Honeywell. It also does not have some of the features of the Honeywell, the most important of which is 'Optimization'. This allows you to set the time at which you want the house to be up to the set temperature, e.g 20C at 0700hrs, and the programmer will automatically bring the boiler on earlier. The time at which the boiler lights up will vary according to how hot/cold it is.

Sponsored Links
Honeywell CM907 ordered and paid for, collect tomorrow.....thanks.

Just thinking ahead... I am comparing a traditional setup with programmer to the new setup with programmed thermostat.....
Suppose, traditionally, I have the heating set to come on from 07:00 to 09:00... am I right in thinking that the same would be achieved with the CM907 by setting it for, say, 20 degrees at 08:00 and then, say, 10 degrees at 09:30 ?

andytw

Suppose, traditionally, I have the heating set to come on from 07:00 to 09:00... am I right in thinking that the same would be achieved with the CM907 by setting it for, say, 20 degrees at 08:00 and then, say, 10 degrees at 09:30?
It all depends on when you get up; presumably it's somewhere between 0730 and 0830. Any earlier and the house would still be cold. Most people would set the first 'on' time to be when they get up, say 0800 at 20C.

As for the second time/temp setting, this would depend on when you left home for work. If you go out of the door at 0900 then I would set it to 10C at 0900.

The evening 'on' time should be when you arrive home from work, e.g 20C at 1800hrs. There's no need to bring it on earlier as optimization will still work to bring the boiler on sufficiently before 1800hrs to bring the house up to temperature. You may be able to set the last 'off' time earlier than when you actually go to bed, depending on how well insulated the house is, e.g 10C at 2230 for a bed time of 2300.

In the end it comes down to experimenting to get what suits your requirements.

OK....nearly there :)

Thermostat CM907 is now installed. If I choose to have 'Optimisation' set to 'Off', (seperate discussion I know), then am I right to believe that 20 degrees at 07:00 only means it will first fire up at 07:00 and then aim for 20 degrees after that and that nothing happens before 07:00.

As this is a let property and the Optimisation setting of On or Off is an Installer setting I am not sure about leaving it on. I am just thinking the simpler the better at the moment.

andytw

If I choose to have 'Optimisation' set to 'Off', (seperate discussion I know), then am I right to believe that 20 degrees at 07:00 only means it will first fire up at 07:00 and then aim for 20 degrees after that and that nothing happens before 07:00.
Correct. But if you do that you are relying on the tenant adjusting the 'On' time according to the weather, so the house reaches the set temperature before the heating goes 'Off'.

Don't forget that the tenants are paying the gas bill, so they must be able to adjust the times and temperatures to meet their lifestyle; which means giving them the User Manual.

As this is a let property and the Optimisation setting of On or Off is an Installer setting I am not sure about leaving it on. I am just thinking the simpler the better at the moment.
I suppose it all depends on how bright the tenants are. ;)

Yes...all understood. I will be giving a copy of the user manual to the tenant and understand re their lifestyle etc. Am open minded about optimisation, just haven't made my mind up yet.

Thanks for your help with this.

The system is now turning on and off and maintaing temperature well, which it wasn't with the (unsuitable) mains driven T6360B.

andytw

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back