Rubber Soil pipe 40mm boss seal won't fit too loose

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Just fitted a new plastic soilpipe but when I've come out of the wall with the 40mm bath waste pipe putting it into one of the 3 sockets on the soilpipe boss hole ,even with a 40 mm rubber boss seal it's still loose ,any advice on the right part needed...plz

Sponsored Links
Well you`ve drilled it too big haven`t you? Seal around rubber grommet with silicone or drop waste pipe to a lower position and get a strap on 40mm boss. You will have to seal original knock out though Ask where you bought it for advice and tell them you are a dipstick, they are normally sympathetic.

I've not drilled it ,it has 3 sockets ,it's the one that's already open I've used ,so it's the normal size it came with ,should the 40mm pipe sit in the socket but not Protrude into the soilpipe, or should it just sit inside so to speak?

Well if it`s a tee on a 4 inch soil pipe there wont be any holes other than the hole for the 4 inch waste pipe.Could be a rainwater pipe but not going into that,if the hole is bigger than the 40mm pipe you have then you should have a rubber reducer. Stick this on end of your 40mm pipe then shove it into hole using a bit of `Fairy liquid` or silicone grease which you will never have heard of. Job done.

Sponsored Links
Just fitted a new plastic soilpipe but when I've come out of the wall with the 40mm bath waste pipe putting it into one of the 3 sockets on the soilpipe boss hole ,even with a 40 mm rubber boss seal it's still loose ,any advice on the right part needed...plz
You probably need a glue in adapter - of the same make as the soilpipe- I take it you`re talking about a new soilpipe boss .

Just for Johnwayne2;

this is a boss pipe:
3-Socket-Soil-Boss-Pipe_large.jpg

this is a tee/junction:
!B4EN(L!BGk~$(KGrHqMOKikEyY4m1nmhBMofj2rsnQ~~_35.JPG

and this is a tee/junction with boss connections:
branch_90ds_black.jpg

The OP clearly stated it was a "soilpipe boss hole", not a 4" junction socket.

using a bit of `Fairy liquid` or silicone grease
I'd have thought you'd be more of a vaseline or KY man, but that's just an assumption on my part.

Just for Johnwayne2;

this is a boss pipe:
3-Socket-Soil-Boss-Pipe_large.jpg

this is a tee/junction:
!B4EN(L!BGk~$(KGrHqMOKikEyY4m1nmhBMofj2rsnQ~~_35.JPG

and this is a tee/junction with boss connections:
branch_90ds_black.jpg

The OP clearly stated it was a "soilpipe boss hole", not a 4" junction socket.

using a bit of `Fairy liquid` or silicone grease
I'd have thought you'd be more of a vaseline or KY man, but that's just an assumption on my part.

Yeh cheers it's the top picture ,it's from bq and they don't sell any other parts for the boss seals ,I've asked last night in trade department ,also silicone grease I have so don't need fairy liquid cheers ,done loads of work on house but this is first full soilpipe I've fitted ,I've taken it outside as it went through the kitchen and I've connected it to the main drain,only problem I have is the boss

Provided you've the right boss adaptor http://www.screwfix.com/p/floplast-boss-adaptor-40mm-pack-of-5/89174 then this should be a snug fit inside the boss. Gently ease waste pipe into the adaptor, (a small smear of lubricant will do to assist), until the waste pipe meets the 'stop' in the adaptor. Do not push through the adaptor so it protrudes inside the stack!

Whole assembly should now be a comfortable fit in the boss, support waste pipe as required with clips to prevent any sagging and/or pulling out the boss. Personally never had a problem with the Wickes parts, solvent welded waste is supposed to be a standard size across all manufacturers, ditto the boss adaptors. (The 32mm adaptor was fine when I needed one in a hurry and Wickes was nearest place to get one!)

Silicone grease , not silicone,stop embarassing yourself mate. :rolleyes:

Yeah, I did actually.You got me there, :D if the guy had already drilled it then it was only choice. :eek: Think I owe you one of these. :oops:

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back