Safe distance between boiler exhaust flue and bedroom window

GRN

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi all, I'm hoping someone will be able to offer me some advice on this please.

About a year ago we bought a terrace house and one of our neighbours has a boiler flue that's causing me some concern.

It's not really occurred to me until this weekend when I noticed it chugging emissions all day from the heating being on, but it turns out that their boiler exhaust flue is only about 2.5 feet from our front bedroom window. I guess my question is this; is there a legal/safe minimum distance that it should be from our window? As I say, today it was really bellowing (presumably) carbon monoxide right across our window all day and that doesn't seem like it would be all that healthy.

I've not really noticed it that bad before, because we sleep in the back bedroom, but our 6 month old son is about to go into the room in question as it's going to be his nursery. So now it's a particular concern for me.

Should I be worried and if so, who do I talk to about it? Bearing in mind next door is a student house and I don't have contact details for the landlords.

Thanks in advance of any advice.

Sponsored Links
Is the flue opposite window or adjacent. Pic would be nice

Hi TCC,

Thanks for your quick reply. It's adjacent. Thought about a photo but assumed it was a bit dark, but I've had a go.

How's this? My window is on the right of the pic (nearer the flue). Hope that's enough to go by?

It actually seems to divert its emissions downwards, which seems odd??

General rule is 300mm adjacent to opening window. With the magic words 'so long as it is not a nuisance' But manufacturers instructions are final so it could be less or more depending on the manufacturer. It maybe too close to the boundary, not the window. If you ring gas safe and tell them you are worried they will send an inspector

• Thanks
Reactions: GRN
Sponsored Links
the steam that you see is called plumimg and will be more evident the colder the weather gets, you presumed wrong in thinking that it was carbon Monoxide, the exhaust if the boiler is burning correctly should not have any major percentage of Carbon monoxide in it, if you are concerned buy a CO detector and install it next to your bedroom window

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back