Safe portable heating for empty house???

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
My Mum's old warm air heating unit has just been condemmed. Her property is empty (up for sale) but I want it kept from getting smelly and damp. The warm air has been on low during winter for the last 2 years.

What is the best, safest heating in this situation? I am thinking along the lines of an oil filled plug in rad in the lounge (on a timer or thermostat) which would allow warm air to filter into the rest of the bungalow just to keep the chill off. (It is a small bungalow)

Any comments or other helpful suggestions?

Many thanks
Amelia

Sponsored Links
That idea might be ok, but I would still switch off the water and drain everything (tanks etc) down. I would doubt the rad would give sufficient heat out to guarantee exposed pipework, (especially in the loft) wont freeze. Possible several rads, one in living room, kitchen and bathroom would give a better chance of keeping the place above freezing. Burst pipe will soon cause a lot of damage. :eek:

Any idea how much it would cost to replace the warm air unit?

Water is drained down thanks. We had a burst last winter, despite leaving loft door open and heat on low :cry:

Thanks

Sponsored Links
Rather than replace the warm air system (potential purchasers are often put off by warm air systems) why not invest about £5k and fit a Condensing Combi and Radiators - a nice new uber efficient heating system will make the property much more attractive to buyers! ;)

what Warm Air Heating system do you have currently installed, and have you got any ideas why it was condemned? Can it not be repaired or serviced ?

As for keeping the house /bunglow free from freezing and damp, use a thermostatically controlled fan heater, set the temperature to lowish, and then it will trip in when the temeprature falls and so you would not need a timer, use a couple of them and they are not that expensive to buy.

They also come with two or one kilowatt setting.

Engineer says burner is all corroded. We left him in the house doing a service. Came back. All in bits. Gas capped off.

It is an old Lincoln unit from 1974. Don't think you can get parts for them anymore. When I switched off in the summer there was a bit of a faint whistling sound present with just the pilot on, but it had been functioning perfectly. Normally I leave the pilot on during the summer because it's a pig to light but thought best to turn right off this time. Went to light it a month ago and no sound of gas coming through when I pressed the gas button so thought I'd better get it serviced & sorted. We are well and truly stranded now. Haven't been able to sell the property for over 2 years - certainly wont with no working heating installed. Seems mad to install a new unit when someone may come along and rip it all out.

Is there potential to rent the property out? New CH system could be a + point, engineer can issue your Landlords Gas safety cert on completion, property is then occupied and you start getting an income. :)

Any idea how much it would cost to replace the warm air unit?

Water is drained down thanks. We had a burst last winter, despite leaving loft door open and heat on low :cry:

Thanks

£2500 full central heating install with boiler. Can do it in december.

with an old Lincoln there is a very high chance that the flue could be made of asbestos you would be better checking this out before getting estimates to replace the WAU as it might be expensive to have the asbestos removed

Thank you for that advice. Hadn't thought of that.

I still need an idea of cost from someone. This is an empty property we don't want to spend on. However, it is not going to help us sell if there is no working system in the bungalow. We will have to drop the price by 10K so I'd rather have a new unit fitted and use as a plus point.

I am thinking of ringing Johnson & Starley this morning if no one can give me a guide price on here. I am wondering where I can find someone to fit the unit if I go ahead, anyway. For now I just want a rough idea of whether it would be 1,2,3 or 4K that's all.

Many thanks all

Yes I do and would be grateful if someone could give me a rough idea of the cost please

I will be honest with you, I have a warm air heating in a rented house, and its fine apart from tenants aren't too keen on it as it drys too much air!

It has now seen best of the days and its time I am looking to see it replaced by a more efficient combi boiler, with rads.

So if anyone is intersted to do a installation for me in Harlow, Essex, please quote me, if interseted.Needs doing kind of now (December)

Failing this I might be looking for someone with Warm Air Heating experience to give this a througho service, it is a Johnson & Starley J25, has not got any side water heater (Jansen I think it is called) Just warm air only, it needs a full MOT, I am sure there is nothing wrong with it as it has been serviced by a heating engineer regularly, but he is now gone from the area, others are not qualified to touch warm air or are too busy or not interested or just look at its age and walk away!

Arn't we at the mercy of Gas Safe Engineers who can squash our balls and squeese them till we scream and scream! Time I did my own service!

I have a freedom of choice, either get screwed by Gas Safe Engineers or by Inmates! at least I will get free porridge!

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back