Should the Kitchen Waste to Cast Iron Soil(?) Pipe be sealed

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Myself and my wife moved into our new flat (1960's block of flats) about 3 months ago. The previous owners left us a full set of White Goods. After sticking it out with the dodgy old Washing Machine it finally gave up on us and we ordered a new one.

Last night we disconnected the old one and discovered that our Kitchen waste pipe (which the washing machine/sink/dishwasher all connect into) merrily makes it way under the units (which were previously hidden by the washing machine) into an ancient cast iron pipe which I assume is the soil pipe?

8KnAe.jpg

There is allot of mould around it and it stinks! What I am curious about is if this is a dodge job and we need it properly fixed and sealed or if it is okay to leave it like this and just clean up the mould!

Any advice appreciated!

Sponsored Links
If it is leaking it will need to be fixed. If it isn't leaking just clean up the smelly bits and leave it alone.

It doesn't leak as far as I can tell (no water stains around it etc).

Will opt for a clean and check it out in a few months I think.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back