Shower mixer pipes into internal breeze block wall

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi all,

There are numerous posts on this topic but having read them, I'm still not 100% clear on the correct way to approach this specific job. I want to install a shower mixer bar on an internal breeze block wall. I plan to use copper pipes with a soldered elbow joint and would like to get some advice on burying the chased pipes.

I had planned to clip the pipes to the wall and then just cover the pipes (and clip therefore) with polyfilla or something of this nature - maybe patching plaster? Then I will tile over them as normal.

I think this should hold the pipe nice and firm in the wall so it doesn't rattle however how worried should I be about expansion / shrinkage due to temperature changes? I assume this could crack the plaster and weaken the structure? Also, as I will be using plaster/filla I wasn't planning on coating the pipes - not sure if this is OK? I won't be able to properly pressure test the join but will run mains pressure through it before patching up to ensure it doesn't leak.

Any help would be much appreciated! I know similar posts have been logged before but many focus on insulation due to external walls.

Thanks,
James.

Sponsored Links
Yup had this subject discussed before many will not believe that breeze attacks cooper but it certainly does in my experience. Make sure the chase is smooth and clean no "sticky out bits" to push through the protection.

Use the felt insulation that comes on a roll slipped over the pipe to protect it, if you want belt and braces you can wrap the pipe in insulation tape before covering with felt, but not strictly necessary. Make good with any plaster or filler.

Real breeze block is black and made from waste clinker from furnaces etc so can contain almost anything which is why some is more aggressive that others, Thermalite blocks are light grey very soft and less of as problem but still cover the pipes anyway.

Thanks for the reply! I was looking around this morning and came across this guide which initially I thought was quite good:

http://wiki.diyfaq.org.uk/index.php?title=Install_Bar_Shower_Valve_-_in_solid_wall,_copper_pipe

It talks about putting the new plaster into the chased channel first and then pushing the pipes into that. This would ensure a nice tight fit and stop any rattling problems but I would expect it to be prone to cracking as the temperature shifts. But then I'm tiling over the plaster so maybe it's not a real problem? It's not going to crack enough to dislodge tiles is it?

Secondly, I've seen recommendations for foam filler as it protects from thermal effects, it's quick and easy to apply however I'm not so sure it would be sturdy enough to take the weight of the mixer bar?!

Finally, you recommend use of the pipe insulation... are you referring to this sort of thing:

http://www.screwfix.com/p/economy-pipe-insulation-15mm-x-1m/72357

Thanks again for the reply!

Thanks,
James.

Sponsored Links

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back