Shower options

C

Classic40

Hi,

I currently have a 8.5kw shower which is pants to say the least and would like a more powerful shower.

I have a gravity fed vented cylinder (120L) in the airing cupboard and a 25 gallon tank on the floor of the loft, approx 2.5 meters from the bottom of the cylinder. This gives ruffly 0.25 bar pressure.

The house doesn't have great water pressure, upcoming pipe is only 15mm.

I have ruled out getting a more powerful electric shower as it's still not going to be amazing and the cabling would need to be upgraded to 10mm.

I have also ruled out a shower valve due to the cold water tank only being approx half a meter above the shower head.

I have also ruled out a new combi boiler, my currently ideal classic ff340 is now faultless and should give many years without hassle. (I used to have a Glowworm Betacom 30c boiler and thermostatic mixer shower in my previous house which was fantastic)

The only other option I have come up with is a power shower such as the Triton AS2000X or Galaxy G1000LX.

Am I missing something?

Thanks.

Sponsored Links
Just been looking at the pumps but I think one of them would drain my cold water tank too quickly and I don't have the space in the airing cupboard to fit one. (I fitted a new part 2 float valve and tap connector the other day to the tank as the old one was full of limescale and the tap connector to replace the service valve so it has full flow - got a stop cock for it lower down the pipework so it can be turned off)

I am not sure if such as product exists but something which uses the hot from the cylinder and cold from mains would be ideal.

Failing that it will have to be a unit such as the G2000LX which has control of the speed/water usage so the tank doesn't run dry.

Sponsored Links
There is one mixer shower valve that can do with gravity hot water and cold main, but I can't remember what the make is, I've fitted these many years ago, it has a built-in injector to boost hot water.

Hot water can be boost with a single pump.

Your best way is power shower and another 25 gallon cold water tank along existing one just for shower cold feed only. Or replace existing 25 gallon with 50 gallon.

Daniel.

I think a power shower maybe the way forward, not worth paying over £350 for the one listed.

Do you think I would get away with keeping my 25 gallon tank running a power shower?

I just replaced the float valve (part 2) with a new one as the old one was causing it to overfill and was covered in limescale along with a tap connector so it had full bore (Removed the service valve as it had a smaller bore)

I went Pegler HP one from screwfix, I understand the only difference between HP and LP is the plastic part inside. I am not sure what pressure I have coming in but the incoming supply is only in 15mm.

Would the LP plastic insert allow it the tank to fill quicker?

Thanks.

25 gallon may not give long shower, maybe 2 mins 5mins, who know. It should be 50 gallon as standard for power shower.

LP plastic insert is for low pressure, it has large nozzle. It give higher water flow rate for low pressure. Using this on high pressure ( cold main ) may give higher flow rate but may not stop once water level is reached.

Daniel

Beer money champagne taste , if you want a decent shower that works properly get it done properly,minimum 50 gallon tank in the loft with dedicated feeds to a decent pump, you will only need do it once.

Thanks guys, just want to make sure I get it right first time.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back