Shower pump install

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi guys, Im going to be installing a twin impellor, 2.0 bar positive head shower pump to supply 2 showers. A couple of queries i have if anyone can help me please?

Which is the best manufacturer of pump? ive heard some horror stories with salamander!

The recommendation is to have a minimum of an 80 gallon tank. Their is currently a 20 gallon tank in situ. I was thinking of installing another tank next to the existing to make up the difference and connecting the two together with 28mm pipework. I have a problem where I will not be able to get a 60 gallon tank up in the loft.

Would it be possible to have a smaller tank connected to the existing tank in 28mm and have both tanks fitted with float valves? would this make up the difference do you think?. The maximum flow rate of the pump will be 18 litres per minute. The cold supply for the showers will be from the tanks also.

Sponsored Links
Stuart Turner, more pricey but by far the best IMO.

You can drain the tanks quickly if both showers are running, therefore you need as close to the recommended capacity as you can to ensure you don't run the hot/cold systems dry.
The other consideration you may need to consider is how large your hot water cylinder needs to be to feed two showers adequately.
How about replacing the tank in the loft with 2@40Gal and then run them in tandem?
Remember to check the loading that your joists in the loft can take with all that water.

Would you have 2 float valves or just the 1 with that setup?

I would make some adequate timber frame to spread the weight and plyboard. Im only going to be fitting 2 standard shower roses with riser rails nothing over the top.

there are a couple of factory refurbed stuart turner pumps brand new do you think its worth the risk at £100?

Sponsored Links
You can run each tank with its own supply and have them interconnected without issue. You can even have them both feeding a single larger bore 'header pipe' that then feeds the pump. Helps to keep adequate circulation in the tanks.

Remember to consider the hot water cylinder capacity too.

Factory refurb'd?? Refurb'd by ST? As long as they are guaranteed then wouldn't see an issue.

Id want a min of 2 bar for one shower, 3 for a good shower.

House we did a while ago, customer wanted to be able to have more than one good shower at once. ..5 bathrooms!!

We installed 5 separate 3 bar pumps!

Seems overkill now I say it but due to the distant apart, there wasn't really any other option.

The thermostatic showers im installing , manufacturers installation requires best performance 1 bar 8 litres per min each the pump will give 17 litres

What size tanks did they have in the loft to run all them? im struggling to install an 80 gallon just for these 2 showers

Granted 2 showers with 2 bar on one pump is not going to strip the skin off the back :) but if low pressure mixers with suitable hoses and suitable shower heads are employed then a 2 bar pump could serve 2 showers, especially as it's an ST pump. (what showers are you looking at?)

Any higher output that could be afforded then the more invigorating the shower will be but again a large water storage is required.

Another thought as well is that a pretty modern HW Cylinder with a fast recovery rate is preferred otherwise after 2 showers it's a while before there is hot water again. Old cylinders can take up to, or even more than, an hour to recover.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back