Shower pump location

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi experts,

We need to improve the pressure at one of our shower heads and a pump looks like the answer. The cold supply runs overhead from loft tank and the hot from the airing cupboard, this makes one pump solution not easy. I am not sure about having two small pumps.

Any ideas please on whether I can pump hot only and how best to establish where the best place in the plumbing layout to introduce the pump. Before rushing to get and install a pump I need to establish where in the system it would get most effect.

Any suggestions please?

Thank you.

Sponsored Links
If you only pump the hot it will be impossible to balance the flow with the un-pumped cold supply, so you will definitely need to look at a solution to pump both. I can't say if the 2 pump solution will work - in theory it might but you may still have problems balancing the temperature at the shower.

Why is that a problem? Probably the same setup as 99% of people with a shower pump!

Pump in the loft with both hot and cold (twin impeller). As long as the pump is BELOW the cold water tank then you don't need anything special. Take the hot from a flange on the cylinder (Essex preferred, Surrey/York if not) and the cold directly from the cold water tank in the loft (only a short route obviously!). Simple. Make sure you use 22mm pipe all the way to the pump and only reduce to 15mm on the outlet after at least a bit of 22mm (as far as possible). If you use 15mm it will cause noise and extra wear on the pump (especially on the inlet).

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back