Shower valve leaking at inlet feeds soooo annoying!!

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi all this is my 1st post of what I am sure will be many!
I'm a kitchen fitter by trade but 2 months ago took on a job converting a mid 80's end of terrace into 2 dwellings (1 bedroom flats).

The new shower unit is the current issue and I've tried giving it almost 20 turns with ptfe tape but it still leaks on the 22mm to 15mm reducers for both hot and cold inlet feeds
Hot is from a brand new Vailiant EcoTec Pro28 and cold is mains fed.

I've been reading about Loctite 55 which I'd never heard of until last night whilst googling leaky showers!
Do you think it will solve my issues or even large tap washers or similar with 3/4" hole?!

Here's a pic to show you the problem

View media item 71456
View media item 71457
Thanks in advance and I will write a post up detailing the job, problems encountered along the way, sound insulated false ceiling systems and will ask a few general questions I've pondered whilst doing this project!

I've never done anything on this scale alone (other then my best friend/client) helping me, who is also new to this property development malarkey :)

RM

Sponsored Links
20 turns means it must be a really sloppy fit. I use both Loctite 55 and PTFE (not at the same time!). Both really need a half decent fit to start with. I would be inclined to swap the reducers for another make or if the reducers came with the unit I think you may be missing washers! - check the box!

I like what I've read about Loctite55 but cannot get it locally from anywhere........ Thinking about now going for 572??

The reducers didn't come with the shower and are from Wickes but have tried one from Screwfix and an independent plumbers and still the same!

Washers would be ideal but local plumb center said he didn't have anything suitable and to use 12/15 turns of ptfe

Cheers for the help so late in the evening......... This is when I'm up researching kitchens, tiles, flooring etc etc

Sponsored Links
Bring back boss white and hemp! - Well actually you can still get it, but boss white is no longer allowed on your domestic water pipework - Was used for donkeys years.

Locktite55 is the modern equivalent, but I have never used it on such a loose joint as you describe. I tend to use it on parts where access is restricted because I have a lot of faith in it. It may be worth a try.

Right after thinking about it today I managed to find someone that stocks L55 and have 1 on the shelf so am off to pick it up tomorrow and will report back!
Tbh I've never struggled so much, however the shower 2 way valve, rain shower 400mm head and handheld unit was only £99 from ibath so I guess it's to be expected! I somehow think this won't be the end of it but we shall see!

Do you think as well as the L55 I should (as backup) use some 'O' Rings on the shoulders for extra piece of mind?!
I didn't go for 'O' ring washers before because tightening the fittings would of just stretched and twisted the washer but with L55's ability to be backed off I can just 'nip' them upto the washers....... That's the plan anyway!

I will report back over the weekend and update this thread for others that find themselves in a similar situation

Thanks again for all the helpful advice

RM

Rant opens. Being a 'kitchen Fitter' is not a trade…..

Rant over.

Best of British.

DH

PS. use the Loctite 55.

Touchy ;)

Ok well tbh it's more jack of all trades.......... Master of none lol

'Trained' carpenter & joiner C&G
Kitchen fitter - Chosen career as like the variety it brings!
Designer 3D/CAD
Tiling
Roofing
Landscaping
Plumbing/gas although not corgi reg
Electrics although not PartP
Flooring.....screeding and finish
Ground works

Only thing I don't do and couldn't care less about is plastering and would rather pay a pro to do that........ I do, do the plasterboarding mind you!

I have added another string to my bow taking on this project and that's I'm now a Pro in Regulation E and sound proofing properties to meet the requirement! I love learning new skills and being able to add new services to my port folio!

BOB to you too :)

RM

So you can't even seal a fri**in threaded connection yet you think you're ok to work on gas, without being registered to boot. :rolleyes: :rolleyes:
Glad you don't work round here.

So you can't even seal a fri**in threaded connection yet you think you're ok to work on gas, without being registered to boot. :rolleyes: :rolleyes:
I wonder if he can also inspect, test and complete the required forms for installing electrics also?

I wonder if he can also inspect, test and complete the required forms for installing electrics also?

Only thing I don't do and couldn't care less about is plastering and would rather pay a pro to do that........ I do, do the plasterboarding mind you!
So paying a Pro is more important for plaster work rather than services that you are more likely to introduce a lethal hazard too?

I don't need to, my best mate does that for me and signs off for my gas safe and Part 'P' work! In 18yrs I've never had a problem and don't forsee it will ever hinder me! Plus who likes doing paperwork anyway ;)

But to answer your question........ YES I could if I wanted to waste my money, can do pretty much anything I turn my hand to other then a leaky shower so it seems lol
Also doing ground up resto on a 1966 barn find Splitty Campervan and currently striped and rebuilding a scooby engine to fit in said Campervan :)

So am pretty versatile and like I said I like the variety, to be challenged and don't shy away from much....... even GAS *shock horror* ;)

So paying a Pro is more important for plaster work rather than services that you are more likely to introduce a lethal hazard too?

Where did I say that?! Presumption is the mother of all f***up's!
I can lay pipe work, cables, chase walls, solder and get it signed off as safe....... No skill needed at all!
I can't plaster and don't want to even try to learn so get a plasterer in to do that for me

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back