shower waste connected to toilet waste?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I'm considering connecting the shower waste to the toilet waste (internally).
The first obstacle maybe the bad smells seeping from the sewer into the shower cabinet - another problem would be the relatively shallow levels differences between the shower waste which is only about 5cm from the floor which would then be connected at floor level about 1.3m to the vertical waste of the toilet (via a boss strap).

Shall I forget the whole lot and keep the existing system? (Presently the shower has its own external waste - and relative hole in the wall and insulation...).

Sponsored Links
Smells shouldn't be an issue provided the correct trap is used on the shower to provide an adequate depth of water seal. Whether you can get an adequate fall on the waste is another matter, you need to calculate the achievable fall from the bottom edge of the trap outlet to the bottom edge of the boss.

It does beg the question, 'If it works, why fix it?' If the current arrangement is satisfactory I would be inclined to leave it in situ, rather than change for changes sake and possibly run into problems rather quickly..... :eek:

Smells shouldn't be an issue provided the correct trap is used on the shower to provide an adequate depth of water seal. Whether you can get an adequate fall on the waste is another matter, you need to calculate the achievable fall from the bottom edge of the trap outlet to the bottom edge of the boss.

It does beg the question, 'If it works, why fix it?' If the current arrangement is satisfactory I would be inclined to leave it in situ, rather than change for changes sake and possibly run into problems rather quickly..... :eek:

in fact I've plenty of doubts myself...ideally, it would be great if I can use a single spot for all drainage and waste (not only the shower but the basin too can be linked to the toilet waste)...that way I can seal the wall with insulation and have an external wall without unsightly pipes.
There isn't any trap as such for the shower at this moment (I guess the flexible hose is bended in such a way to provide the same function). Still I don't think there is enough space for a shallow trap. Then the fall from the shower to the toilet waste seems inadequate to me...(no need to check building regs - just common sense).

All depends on how much work you want to do and whether the asthetical gains are worth it! If you really want to achieve this, then i'd look at a 'soil manifold'. This can be fitted at or just below floor level, and offers several bosses into which to connect shower, bath and basin, and may allow you to achieve adequate fall within the room for the shower waste.

Shallow shower traps are available, designed to provide correct depth of seal with minimum height of the trap. If connecting to a stack it is vital the correct methods are used or you run the risk of foul air entering the room via the shower waste.

Sponsored Links
Shower waste going into a toilet waste, no problem, exactly what I have because I didnt want ugly pipes on the ouside wall, done this 10 years ago and never had any probs.

All depends on how much work you want to do and whether the asthetical gains are worth it! If you really want to achieve this, then i'd look at a 'soil manifold'. This can be fitted at or just below floor level, and offers several bosses into which to connect shower, bath and basin, and may allow you to achieve adequate fall within the room for the shower waste.

Shallow shower traps are available, designed to provide correct depth of seal with minimum height of the trap. If connecting to a stack it is vital the correct methods are used or you run the risk of foul air entering the room via the shower waste.

I wish I knew of these soil manifolds before installing the new floor and underfloor heating....there is no UFH around the toilet area but I guess one would have to chase the floor from around the shower to the toilet waste....too much work really.

Well, after double checking some other posts and read more about building regs requirements it seems that I can get a reasonable fall from the shower and the basin - the requirements are 18mm to 90mm per metre and in my case I'm bang in the middle with about 40mm/m for the shower.
I was worrying for nothing...the fall of the existing wastes are far more than the standards (very misleading).
No need to do any hard work nor digging the floor - just an adapter to the toilet waste. ;)

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back