slowly losing pressure in central heating - bellway home

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I have had my house for about a year now, i noticed my central heating pressure gauge was 0.5 bar the other day when the heating was off (not had the central heating on since) when i know it was 1.8 bar at some point last year. So i topped it up to about 1.9bar. not used central heating since and today i look and it is 1.3-1.4 bar about 5 days later, is this normal? if im not using the central heating at all and i top it up and then the pressure falls does it mean there is a leak in the house??

its one of these dual pressure systems with the boiler in the kitchin and a filling loop on the 3rd floor with the rest of the water system, dont think it is a combi bolier though.... the heat is transferred somehow to the central heating in the airing cuboard on the 3rd floor

Sponsored Links
You should really consult the manufactures instructions for the correct pressure. 1.2 bar is the norm when the system is cold.

A slight rise in system pressure is perfectly normal when the heating is on as the water expands.

so its possible the system has self regulated to remove the extra pressure i added?

i have a range tribune HE unvented hot water cylinders, it mentions something about

"tribune he operates 3 bar(controlled by the inletcontrol set) and is capable of delivering over 50l a minute"

also mentions something about in a domestic installation 1.5bar should be regarded as minimum.

i can only see a pic of the white expansion vessel in the instruction manual and not the red one that has the pressure indicator on it that i believe is the one connected to my heating system

confused :S

Sponsored Links
The pressure for the radiators is not connected to the mains water pressure, if you top it up and it then drops then you either have a leak somewhere or the expanssion vessel (red one) is knackered or the prv on the heating is letting by.

Is there any possible scenario that means I don't need to worry that there is water leaking behind walls and causing loads of damage? Do I need to call someone out?

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back