solid fuel back boiler help please

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi folks,

I posted a message about 6 months ago regarding a back boiler problem, which I thought got sorted, but don't think this is the case.

Here is my situation;

In my house I have storage heaters (no gas in the property) and a back boiler in the fire.

I was told by the previous home owner that it all worked fine and with a fire lit, it would heat the hot water up, I can't seem to get this working.

We have 2 tanks in the loft but I know nothing on plumbing and heating as this is the first house I've bought and had no experience of it before...sorry!

Everywhere I read online I see notices that if a back boiler is redundant, its likely they can blow up.

Can anybody offer any advise on what the setup should be like? If i provide photos of certain areas, fire place? immersion? loft tanks? would this be able to help anybody offer advise?

I have a wife and young son at home and a second child on the way and really don't want to be worrying about this as the cold weather comes in.

Any advise would be appreciated!!

Thanks

Sponsored Links
You must ensure that the back boiler is full of water and all of the expansion pipes are clear before lighting the thing.
The loft tank should be full, and if you turn the hot taps on, the loft tank valve should open to replenish the water supply.
Please have the system checked out!
John :)

The loft tank is full . however there are two tanks? I am keen to get this checked out but if I can find out why is wrong first that's great. I don't want to have to pay a 60 pound call out fee for someone to tell me it's in working order and I've just missed something simple...money is VERY tight at the moment and every body wants call outs which are just unaffordable for me unless I know it's work that needs doing. If money was no object I'd have had this sort six months ago. :(

Sponsored Links
If there is water in the system and no pumps (ie -gravity circulation) then it should work. Unless it has blocked with sludge.
Should probably be a heat leak rad also.

Had a look yesterday at one for a guy and he had changed the pump for a new one and fitted the flow arrow in reverse.
It had then stopped revolving also.

The installation was probably done about 30 years ago. Pump on the return with nrv on the inlet.

I don't want to have to pay a 60 pound call out fee for someone to tell me it's in working order and I've just missed something simple...money is VERY tight at the moment and every body wants call outs which are just unaffordable for me unless I know it's work that needs doing. If money was no object I'd have had this sort six months ago. :(

Perhaps you should consider cancelling your broadband subscription and put it towards your family's more essential needs, like some hot water.

I would get someone in to look at it. Don't take a risk of messing about with it yourself unless you know what you're doing. As you say, you aren't sure if the back boiler is working or whether it's been decommissioned. You need to know before you go lighting fires.

Even if it is something simple that's needed to get it going, you will at least find out how the system works for future reference. Worth £60.

Have you been without hot water for six months??

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back