DIYnot
Local | Network
   DIYnot > Forums
Local | Network
DIYnot Network Local DIYnot Network Local  
  Forum IndexForum Index     RulesRules    HelpHelp     Join FREERegister Free     About CookiesCookies     SearchSearch     LoginLogin 

Solid fuel fire with back boiler

Post new topic   Reply to topic    DIYnot.com Forum Index > Plumbing and Central Heating
Search this topic :: View previous topic :: View next topic  
Bodd

from United Kingdom

United Kingdom

PostPosted: Sat Sep 03, 2011 7:26 pm Reply with quote

Solid fuel fire with back boiler
I think the above exists. if so how would you tap it into the central heating system so that it will heat the rads andf hot water while your using the fire.

What controls would you use and when heating and hot water are up to temp would it just circulate round the primarys.

Its just an idea for when I buy a new house.

Bod
 Alert Moderators

If you do not want to see this advert, click here to login or if you are new click here to join free.
muggles

from United Kingdom

United Kingdom

PostPosted: Sat Sep 03, 2011 7:47 pm Reply with quote

Yes many versions of this exist, it's a bit complicated to make it work with a conventional system but it can be done, don't expect it to be cheap though
 Alert Moderators
Bodd

from United Kingdom

United Kingdom

PostPosted: Sat Sep 03, 2011 8:04 pm Reply with quote

Thanks for getting back to me Muggles.

It wont be cheap but I am a heating engineer/installer so that will cut alot of the cost. I just need to get my head round doing a proper job that works efficiantly and safely

Bod
 Alert Moderators
muggles

from United Kingdom

United Kingdom

PostPosted: Sat Sep 03, 2011 8:10 pm Reply with quote

Look at Dunsley Neutralisers. It's notifiable work to install a solid fuel fire though so you need to be qualified to do it
 Alert Moderators
Bodd

from United Kingdom

United Kingdom

PostPosted: Sat Sep 03, 2011 8:15 pm Reply with quote

muggles wrote:
Look at Dunsley Neutralisers. It's notifiable work to install a solid fuel fire though so you need to be qualified to do it

I realise this mate. that'll be the next issue. I can do most of the work myself but the fire bit. I'm sure I'll be able to make it as cheap as possible even if it means I have to do the course my self.

Bodd
 Alert Moderators
dcawkwell

from United Kingdom

United Kingdom

PostPosted: Sat Sep 03, 2011 8:33 pm Reply with quote

Waste of time and money. All the heat goes up the chimney.
Save your money and buy more insulation.
 Alert Moderators
Servotech

from United Kingdom

United Kingdom

PostPosted: Sat Sep 03, 2011 8:35 pm Reply with quote

To comply with Part L you must fit a lot of controls which in turn try to control something that cannot be fully controlled and therein is todays problem with SF/CH and the reason most plumbers have now stopped installing it.
My advice is don't bother with it because it belongs in the past!
servotech,
 Alert Moderators
Bodd

from United Kingdom

United Kingdom

PostPosted: Sat Sep 03, 2011 8:49 pm Reply with quote

Servotech wrote:
To comply with Part L you must fit a lot of controls which in turn try to control something that cannot be fully controlled and therein is todays problem with SF/CH and the reason most plumbers have now stopped installing it.
My advice is don't bother with it because it belongs in the past!
servotech,

I think that is what is bothering me. How do you control it, when everythijng is upt to temp.

but I want cosy nights in by the fire
 Alert Moderators
Onetap

from United Kingdom

United Kingdom

PostPosted: Sat Sep 03, 2011 9:05 pm Reply with quote

Bodd wrote:
I think that is what is bothering me. How do you control it, when everythijng is upt to temp.

You have to store the excess heat (thermal storage) or dissipate the heat (chuck it away) traditionally by boiling the water and blowing steam into the air.

The modern wood pellet or wood chip boilers are controllable and the fuel supply can be turned off. I'm not up to date on the situation with RFIs, but HMG were planning to pay per kW for installed capacity. A seriously expensive installation compared to mains gas, since all the suppliers jacked up their prices to relieve the customers of the RFI payments. Such is life.
 Alert Moderators
jessejazza

from United Kingdom

United Kingdom

PostPosted: Sat Sep 03, 2011 9:25 pm Reply with quote

Bodd wrote:
muggles wrote:

I realise this mate. that'll be the next issue. I can do most of the work myself but the fire bit. I'm sure I'll be able to make it as cheap as possible even if it means I have to do the course my self.

Bodd

I looked into this a while back but wouldn't be able to route the pipes - i thought they were banned as there were a couple of fatalities. Friends of mine in Cardiff don't have any CH radiators - just an open fire and back boiler. But i think the houses were designed for it. The fire is on an inside wall and heats the whole house perfectly - despite the widespread claim that an open fire is inefficient. But a back boiler won't have enough heat to give to even a couple of radiators. Other friends of mine have had a stove installed and theirs doesn't heat the rads despite what the sellers claimed. Each rad needs 1.5-2.0 KW so few stoves are able to provide the necessary heat to them.

I had a 25 or 30 ins immersion element installed and that does all the DW adequately for use between April and October [or whenever the cold weather starts and the CH goes on] - i use a 24hr timer on the plug which works very well.

tbh enjoy your open fire and use the immersion (only 20 each).
 Alert Moderators
Search this topic :: View previous topic :: View next topic  
Post new topic   Reply to topic    DIYnot.com Forum Index > Plumbing and Central Heating All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: