Square Drainage Adaptor 65mm To Round 40mm pipe?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi there,

I'd be really grateful if someone could advise the best way to connect this:

ae235

to an existing round 40mm PVC waste pipe? I know I need an adapter (squareline to roundline) such as this:

ae235

but the problem is as you can see, the round outlet is still too big to connect to the 40mm pipe.

Any ideas?

Just incase you're wondering what I intend doing with it, believe it or not, I'm installing internal guttering to my leaking conservatory! And hooking it up to the kitchen sink's waste outlet :mrgreen:

Sponsored Links
There is no part available (or made to my knowlege) to link the two. Even the miniline gutter uses 2" downpipe that is not compatible with 2" waste..... Only option would be to 'bodge something up sadly. :cry:

one of these should fit.

ae235

Didnt realise you were connecting it to waste pipe,you will have to make something up

I see from another site someone said:

"Unfortunately, because rainwater and waste pipes serve different purposes, and most people are in the position where they should not be connecting waste and rainwater pipes, I doubt whether any manufacturer makes a fitting for this purpose."

Source:

http://community.screwfix.com/thread/72685?start=0&tstart=0

Damn, I'm kinda screwed then lol But what's annoying for me is I want to divert rain water into the drainage system, not the other way round lol

EDIT:

Incase anyone has similar problem, what I'll have to do is use "68mm - 50mm pipe reducer" and then use a very short 50mm bit of pipe to connect to a "50mm to 40 reducer" where I can then use a 40mm adapter to connect to my existing 40mm drain pipe. Not the best way but the only way it seems.

Sponsored Links
The item in your link will couple 68mm to 50mm rainwater downpipe, I suspect sadly you'll find 50mm rainwater and 50mm waste pipes are not compatible. :cry:

The item in your link will couple 68mm to 50mm rainwater downpipe, I suspect sadly you'll find 50mm rainwater and 50mm waste pipes are not compatible. :cry:

Sorry I don't get what you mean,

I'm getting a 68mm to 50mm adapter and then I will get a bit of pipe (50mm) and then on the end of that I will get an adapter so I can put the 40mm waste pipe on the end of that and go from there. Would this not work?

EDIT: Ok I think I get you, you mean the 50-40mm adaptor is for waste pipes only and can't be connected to the 50mm rainwater pipe. Damn. This is crazy! Ok what about using a hopper with a 40mm outlet (bet it doesn't exist)?

By law You shouldn't connect a gutter to your sewer system, it should feed into a soak away. Your water supplier will not be happy if they do a unannounced visit, it happened in older properties but standards have long since changed.

Ever thought of repairing the conservatory? :D

By law You shouldn't connect a gutter to your sewer system, it should feed into a soak away. Your water supplier will not be happy if they do a unannounced visit, it happened in older properties but standards have long since changed.

But since the house was built (1920s), the kitchen waste water has always gone into the bath/ bathroom sink and rainwater drain?? They're linked together and would have been done by the local council. There's a big cast iron down pipe with a hopper above it where the bathroom water goes and then the kitchen waste water went into a gulley and that was all linked up into one drainage channel so if you can't connect them pipe to pipe, isn't using a hopper just as wrong?

Ever thought of repairing the conservatory? :D

It's taken 10 years to come up with a solution to fix the problem. There's no access whatsover. Do you have any any idea what the going rate is for a pro to seal it all because I have no idea, but again the problem is access.

The iron downpipe goes into your main drain, your guttering generally doesn't flow into the same pipe. Some cases it does, but since the standards have changed you can't fit new pipework in other same way.

Amusing when people expect to be able to buy things do use for illegal purposes.

I have a machete but difficult to find anywhere legal to sell it!

They are not illegal to own but its not possible to advertise them on Ebay or Gumtree!

Tony

Older properties usually have a combined system of drainage, whereas the soil, waste and rainwater all go into the same sewer. Problem arises during heavy rainfall as the treatment works gets overloaded, so in later years foul and surface drainage were seperated to reduce the volume going to the works in times of rainfall.

If you have a combined drainage system on the property and there is no other suitable means for disposal of rainwater, then it has to go into the drain. I would assume in this case should the conservatory be weathertight then the runoff from the roof would go into the drain anyway, this is just a 'diversion' for some of the runoff.... :LOL:

I would think you have more chance of winning the lottery than the Water Company turning up to check your drainage arrangements.... Their main concern is regarding foul drainage wrongly connected to surface drains, in which case they have the power to force property owners to reconnect correctly at their own expense.

As an aside, hoppers are now banned for waste water drainage, unless as a direct replacement for an existing hopper. The current setup is perfectly ok, thousands of homes up and down the country were built like this, but any new work must comply to current regs.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back