stop tap closed, dripping tap

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi everyone,
Sorry if this is a silly question. I have just moved into a new house, I need to get the ball cock in the loft tank replaced as water flows from the overfill pipe into the garden. I cannot get that done for a few weeks due to budgets so I have for the time being had to close the stop cock outside and just boil the water i need to drink from the hot tap.
What I have noticed is that with the stop cock close, the mains cold water tap when opened is dropping very slightly, Is this something to worry about? I just did not know if by closing the stop cock and a tiny amount of water being able to still pass to cause the kitchen tap to drip when opened would cause any damage to the pluming somehow because of built up pressure.
Sorry again if this is a silly question. Thank you

Edit: I should of said, the drip is very slight, about 1 drop of water every 10secs or so.

Sponsored Links
without knowing how your pipework is laid out, it's hard to say what's causing it.

is it the kitchen tap? (which should be on the same pipe as the main stop cock)
If so the fault could lie with the stop cock.

regarding the upstairs tank, can you trace the feed pipe down? (should come through airing cupboard possibly?)

if so there might be an isolator for the loft tank, if not, fit one, then you can turn the loft tank off and turn your water back on.

P.S. how have you still got hot water if you've turned your stop cock off????

P.P.S. are there any mixer taps in the house? (single lever, does hot and cold) what you could have is not a faulty ball cock on the loft tank but a mixer that is letting mains pressure water into the hot water circuit.
Can be cured with a non return valve on the hot side.

It is a indirect system, so I still have hot water because that tank fills from the loft tank. I know it is the ball cock after a few tests.
My concern is the slight dripping from the kitchen tap (fed from mains) after closing the stop cock (located in basement, not the tap on the water meter)
It may be a silly question but I just wanted to know if any damage could be caused to the stop cock, with it still allowing a small amount of water to pass when it is fully closed. The reason why I have turned the mains off is because around 50L of water is coming out from the overflow pipe a day. So I turn it back on every 3-4 days to refill the loft tank.

The dripping could be water draining out of the pipework running up to the loft tank, and nothing to worry about.

Or it could be a very small amount of water passing the closed stop tap, again, not a lot to worry about - Just leave the kitchen tap open.

Check it's a faulty float valve by turning the water on and watching the valve. If it closes fully, but the water level in the tank continues to rise, the fault could be a mixer tap or shower valve.

If the valve continuously hisses, wheezes and drips even if you lift the float up, it's the valve.

If it closes cleanly when you lift the float, it may just need the float level adjusting.

Changing a float valve is usually a relatively straightforward DIY job if you feel up for it. The parts aren't very expensive either.

Sponsored Links
What concerns me more is that you are drinking the water from the tank. I know you are boiling it but if its an old tank it could contain dead insects/birds/algae etc. Buy a large bottle of mineral water from T#scos until you get the valve fixed.

Thank you, I have lifted the float and water still flows from the valve but only a small amount, so yes that is the valve and after watching a few diy vids on youtube that does seem simple to do, so I may try that myself.
I will also now leave my kitchen tap open as you advised while i have the stop tab closed, as it does seem to be allowing a small amount to pass, again another youtube vid recommended changing the rubber washer, but I have no idea where my water meter is or that tap to completely shut the water off, so I may have to get some help there. Thank you for your help.

Thank you squeaky for your concern, I will take your advice and get a few of those 15L bottles for drink water.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back