Tanks in loft's

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
What do you guys do with old water tanks in the loft when upgrading or changing. The question relates really to loft hatches smaller than the tanks. I only ask as a customer has raised the issue regarding why I've left a large tank up in her loft even after explaining the reason.

Sponsored Links
If steel I turn over and put the new tank on top!

Otherwise I discuss options to cut up and remove at relevant costs.

Tony

Cutting a galvanized tank creates lots of sparks. :eek:

Great care must be taken also a full set of PPE must be worn, but all of this can be reflective in the price to remove the old tank.

Andy

Sponsored Links
For anyone who does not realise, the point of that is to nearly double the 'head' of water.

That can make a masssive difference to the pressure available at a shower head below.

Tony

My tank is mounted on a platform, it was like it when I moved, v good head for a shower & no pump to buy/run/leak etc

I always state in my quote whether the tanks are to be left in situ or removed. Plastic are generally removed but galvy ones left, sometimes with ply on top to support the new tank or drained and set to one side. When you see the mess that results from the bottom falling out of an old galvy tank when you disturb it too much you don't want to touch them. If the customer is insistent on having the old galvy tank removed then it's an extra days labour in the loft with the recip saw. and lots of PPE.

Galvanised tank = thermic lance, every time.

flamethrower.gif

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back