Thermostatic mixer shower - very hot or very cold

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Can't find this anywhere else. My new thermostatic mixer shower/bath filler either gives extremely hot or very cold water - it's impossible to get a mix of the two. I have a Worcester Bosch Greenstar Combi boiler (about 18 months old). Is it possible that I have crossed the supplies to the shower - there was no indication of hot or cold on the unit when I installed it. If this is the problem is there any solution other than pulling it all apart and swapping the pipes over? Anyway I can find out whether I have crossed the supplies without dismantling half the bathroom to get to the pipe work? Thanks in advance.

Sponsored Links
if you put the mixer on, turn up the hot thermostat, and feel the inlets where it joins to the pipes, you should feel one hot side, then have a look at the manual for the mixer and see if it is piped up right? if not theres your problem if it is piped right remove the mixer and check for debris in inlet filters or in non return valves just inside mixer itself just by looking, or it could just be a faulty mixer.

The normal is hot on the left, cold on the right. Also if the mixer is a bar one, then the shower hose should come out of the bottom of it.

Hi - I should have said: it's a thermostatic bath filler with shower attachment. I can't get to any of the pipe work - even to feel the temperature - without disconnecting the bathroom sink and dismantling the built in vanity unit (its a very small room!) All of the pipe work is under the floor (which is now nicely tiled) so I can't get to it that way. The manual (which I don't have any more because it was useless anyway) made no mention of hot and cold. Cantaloup63 - when you say hot on the left, do you mean as I look at the valve from in front? Thanks both very much indeed for your advice so far. Really appreciated.

Sponsored Links
Just had a fiddle with this and realised that I don't need to feel the pipes - the valve looks like a conventional mixer tap and so I can feel the body of the valve. The right hand side, as I look at it, gets very hot. The left hand side stays cold. Looks like I've got it the wrong way round. Grrrrr. Any one know where I can find a tech spec for a Cirque Thermostatic Bath Shower valve?
Thanks again.

;)
I'd have thought that B&Q will be able to contact the manufacturers or give you their number to ask for a tech sheet. I'd imagine that the tails being connected the wrong way round will be the main problem.

Thanks for your help. I'm pretty sure I'll have to get in under the bath. Don't ask why I didn't check this before boxing the whole thing in!!! I turned it on. Water came out. I assumed it was fine. Live and learn I suppose. Thanks again.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back