Toilet isolating valve turned, now dripping

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I went to change the refill valve /arm in the cistern, about the limit of my diy skills. So underneath the cistern we have a flexi hose with an isolating valve attached. I turned the screw head in this a quarter turn to shut off the water in preparation for removing the arm inside, then I noticed the valve was dripping a bit, seemingly from where I had just turned the screw. I immediately turned it back a quarter turn to where it was, but it's still dripping, quite fast, has filled a cup in just under an hour. Tried turning the screw slightly one way and another in case it needs to be exactly in a certain position, but no good. I've just had another look and discovered it appears to be dripping from the exact opposite side to where the screw head is - if I feel this side with my fingers there appears to be a circular type piece that rotates as you turn the screw. It's this where is leaking from. Any ideas how /if this can be stopped, or do I need a new valve? The whole toilet system has only been in for about 5 years. Have I possibly dislodged or disturbed the fitting somehow by turning the screw? (I thought this was going to be the easy part!)
Thanks in advance for any advice.

Sponsored Links
5 years is a long time in plumbing! unfortunately that type of valve is notoriously sh1te and most likely need replacing although sometimes you can get them to stop leaking by tweaking it in to "just the right position" but that takes years of experience to get right :LOL:

Yep; keep fiddling with it to see if you can get it to stop. Otherwise, turn off the stopcock and fit a new one, easy because you've got quick and accessible control of the mains water.

If you have a bit of movement in the pipe, you can even use the existing nuts and olives

Sponsored Links

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back