Toilet seat nut/bolt removal

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi all,

I'm currently replacing the toilet seats with new ones, however I'm having problems removing one of the fixings for one of the old seats.

*WARNING* Toilet pics at the end of this post.

I've tried loosening the bolt with two sets of pliers (one to hold the head of the nut and one to turn the bolt). All that happens is that the bolt turns but does not come loose.

Can anyone please offer any suggestions to remove this fixing altogether?

Much appreciated.

[/img]

Sponsored Links
You're going to have to cut that off - borrow a Dremmel from someone and use the cutting disc. Don't forget to wear goggles, nasty if they disintegrate! You'll have the bolt off in seconds by grinding away the head.

Nozzle

If you use spanners rather than pliers you will find it much easier. Also the bolt has a double nut locking arrangement (god knows why, it's only a toilet seat). You need 2 spanners to undo the first (lower) nut then undo the one above, while holding the bolt head. A spray with WD40 first and leave for 10-15 mins will help ease it too.

Sponsored Links
Oh dear, Oh deary me did any of you look at the first Picture He is trying to undo the top nut which as been used as a spacer,

Oh dear, Oh deary me did any of you look at the first Picture He is trying to undo the top nut which as been used as a spacer,

My thoughts exactly! :LOL:

It's the small lower nut that needs undoing.

Nozzle's solution worked perfect. Just sawed it off. Thanks v much.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back